6.5 for deer...2600 fps <<< VS >>> 2800 fps...???

.......I've followed those, a great example of old school, heavy for caliber, round nose moderate velocity, still working. Zero doubts about using it that way, but left the thought a bit open ended, curious how those work driven at magnum velocities, point blank, hard targets.
They are extremely tough bullets originally designed specifically for large, heavy bodied game at sub 200yds range.

I've seen three elk taken very cleanly with them out of a .264. One at about 30 yards, the other around a hundred, the farthest about 250.

That ole man never missed and never needed a second shot on anything I saw him shoot at over the span of almost forty years.

They are in fact very similar to the old heavy jacketed soft point military rounds from around the turn of the last century just as the world's militaries were making the transition from all lead to jacketed bullets.

They aren't known for great accuracy but they are great for deep penetration and breaking bones.

For an older person the 100 grain barnes or 100 grain nosler partition will lessen recoil and be just as good a killer in 6.5
In the .308 size cases it's not going to make enough difference to even notice but the Heavier bullets give you a substantial gain in terminal performance over the lighter bullets.

Even in the .264wm and 6.5 LRM recoil with the 140's isn't enough to bother kids under a 100lbs set up properly.

In the .308 size cases it's not going to make enough difference to even notice but the Heavier bullets give you a substantial gain in terminal performance over the lighter bullets.

Even in the .264wm and 6.5 LRM recoil with the 140's isn't enough to bother kids under a 100lbs set up properly.

I have a recoil slide for testing brakes and different weight bullets at different velocities. I can tell from empirical data there is a vast difference in the recoil from a .308 with heavies and a .260 or 7-08 with lighter bullets.

The only way to beat the adrenaline rush is shutting down the CNS instantly. Some animals have an unbelievable will to live that just won't quit otherwise.
This. Even a 6.5SLR pushing a slower bullet @ 637 will drop a buck instantly if you do this. Of course, breaking both front shoulders and shattering a vertebra sure helps.too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.