1/4 inch clicks question for drop charts

djtjr

Guys I'm doing a tough mountain hunt in August and wanted to take a lighter weight sheep gun with me. I have 2 guns that would work well and both carry a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with target Turrets on them. The issue is that the click value on the scopes is .25 INCH @ 100 Yards rather than .25 MOA @ 100 Yards. For the first hundred or 2 yards that doesn't matter much but both are capable of accuracy at 5 and 600 yds and thats where the .047" difference between true inches and MOA starts to come into play when making my drop charts because all software i have seen and have is in MOA. Is there a software that will do true .25 inch clicks rather than MOA? If not how do i calculate for that difference so i can be spot on at the longer distances rather than a few inches off? I don't love the idea of messing with velocity inputs to get them to line up as my OCD would drive me crazy and while that may work on one range I wonder if it would cause issues in the program when heading to altitude? Any thoughts. Lets assume Ive verified that its a true .25".

Correction. You are ASSUMING they are .25. However scopes are routinely off mftrs stated specs. Run Brian Litzs tall target test to find out what you actually have and then apply corrections if needed.

The shooter app on my Iphone will do inch per 100 yds (IPHY), MOA, or Mils. Most ballistic programs out there will do IPHY. If yours doesn't do it then it's a simple matter to find one that will and switch to it.

As has been stated you can find iphy in most ballistics progrsms, but if you don't take the time to validate your scopes travel through a tall target test and a box drill ...your just asking for problems.

Jordan@406

Ballistics programs are great for educated guesses. Spending time at the range is the only sure way to know your equipment. Spending money for the hunt deserves time spent knowing where to hold. Good enough for Brian, good enough for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.