1/4" clicks or 1/4 moa clicks

chetraguse

So 1 moa is 1.047". I'm looking at a swarovski Z5 scope that has 1/4" clicks and want to be able to use my br2500 rangefinder. The 2500 rangefinder doesn't out put in 1/4" only moa. Is this a big thing to worry about? At 1000 yards there would only be .47" of difference right?

So 1 moa is 1.047". I'm looking at a swarovski Z5 scope that has 1/4" clicks and want to be able to use my br2500 rangefinder. The 2500 rangefinder doesn't out put in 1/4" only moa. Is this a big thing to worry about? At 1000 yards there would only be .47" of difference right?
Lets say you have 20 MOA drop @ 1000 yds, you would have about 209.4 inches of drop, so about 9.4 inches difference, or 4.7 inches per 10 MOA, or .47 inches per MOA

You typical tall target test scope at 100 yrd and see what the real scope adjustment is,measured out.Then adjust in your shooting app,mils inches,what ever your using.

Disregard. I gave bad info, and was thinking something else (1/2 moa increase but we are talking inches)
Should of read the whole thing.

It is not an issue. Swarovski scopes use True MOA on their adjustments. So if you dial 1 MOA at 100 yards, the reticle will move 1.047 inches. Most scope manufacturers use TMOA adjustments for their scopes, but you see a lot of shorthand 1/4 inch when referencing things on the internet.

Most ballistic programs have some way to apply a correction factor if step size per click is different. You can do a tall target test to figure out just how far the scope is moving the crosshairs.

The problem between the two if using one but dialing the other is the compounding error with every click. It isn't just that you would be of 0.47 inches at 1000 yards. It is that you would be of .047% for EVERY click.

With something like a 6.5 CM that would put you off by about 15 inches at 1,000 yards. (According to JBM)

The problem between the two if using one but dialing the other is the compounding error with every click. It isn't just that you would be of 0.47 inches at 1000 yards. It is that you would be of .047% for EVERY click.

With something like a 6.5 CM that would put you off by about 15 inches at 1,000 yards. (According to JBM)
The difference is .47" per MOA @1000 yds. If your dialing .25 MOA per click, that works to .47" per 4 clicks

When I go and look at the swarovski web page on a Z5 it says 1/4" per 100 yards not 1/4 moa. Then I look at the Outdoorsmans and they make a custom turret for swarovski that can come in moa. Maybe I'm overthinking by trying to get a Z5 into moa???

You are overthinking. This has been discussed before and Swaro uses True MOA for their clicks. Each click will be 1/4 MOA which most people use anonymously as 1/4 inch. Nobody is going to print in their brochure that each click is .26175 when they can just say 1/4 inch. As to the Outdoorsman they are selling a turret marked in MOA because the Z5 has the funky ballistic turret. Going to a new turret that has different marks on it doesn't change the underlying mechanism.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...es-true-moa-turret-sdjustments-or-iphy.47401/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.