“Stop the Hammering!”

Have you definitely determined that you have the short throated chamber, or are you just guessing ? Sinclair makes a $6 gage that will certainly fill that blank.
Well that certainly won't break the bank. I have a Sinclair account. I'll check it out. Thanks!

View attachment 193684
Im sick of the hammer thing too. Got lee hand press. Ill seat the bullets at home but when im in pressure territories i put the ear plugs in case to stop spillage and debris and seat at range if i need them. But dont use used earplugs its 😝
Always had my eye on one of these, now I know to use it for, at the range, GOOD STUFF

I think you're right. It was getting 2,940 fps with a 52.3 grain charge but I thought that was kinda slow so that's why I upped the charge. It shoots quite well at 52.3 (see my avatar) but it's absolutely fantastic at 53.5. I just don't want to beat my stuff up. If I can find one of the powders you suggested, I'll grab a pound and see what happens. If not, I'll retreat to the 52.3 grain charge and live with a little under .5 MOA for a while.
At .5 MOA I would happily call it a day and have a beer. that is good

Update: I have a friend that just ran all my stuff through Quickload @ the 53.5 grain charge. The program says I was in the lower part of the purple pressure region at 52,000 psi. One would expect to start seeing pressure signs at this charge - I guess so!

At .5 MOA I would happily call it a day and have a beer. that is good

OK. Thanks!
8415E95F-C6BD-4CEC-A4FE-A9E92D569A01.jpeg

Primer "nailing" can also be a byproduct of headspace. Keep an eye out for that on your next reload session. Measuring a fully fire formed cartridge vs your product after sizing your brass for shoulder bump.

View attachment 193684
Im sick of the hammer thing too. Got lee hand press. Ill seat the bullets at home but when im in pressure territories i put the ear plugs in case to stop spillage and debris and seat at range if i need them. But dont use used earplugs its 😝
What kinda groups you getting with them blue beans?

Aside from the powder, is it possible that moly coating bullets lowers velocity?

With regards to velocity, some shooters say uncoated bullets had .5″ five shot groups at 2650 fps where the moly rounds shot this group at 2430 fps. The more the charge was increased to get the velocity, it degraded the accuracy and it wasn't possible to match that 2650/.5″ group with moly, regardless of the charge. It seems more often than not moly doesn't increase accuracy at any range or that there is no noticeable difference.

Ignoring the validity of the rest of the article; accuracy, etc. As to the singular question of velocity, is it possible?

Aside from the powder, is it possible that moly coating bullets lowers velocity?

Ignoring the validity of the rest of the article; accuracy, etc. As to the singular question of velocity, is it possible?

It is my experience they absolutely do with less friction there is less back pressure to eject the bullet from the barrel which results in a lower velocity I personally had to come up half of grain with my standard load to reach the same velocity

Update: I have a friend that just ran all my stuff through Quickload @ the 53.5 grain charge. The program says I was in the lower part of the purple pressure region at 52,000 psi. One would expect to start seeing pressure signs at this charge - I guess so!
Did you notice in the QuickLoad results window ,( bottom right window), the pressure is highlighted in colors, yellow is normal, magenta ( sorry, that's the color term they used), is critical, between 85% - 100% of specified limit variations. It will also tell if the load is compressed.

It is my experience they absolutely do with less friction there is less back pressure to eject the bullet from the barrel which results in a lower velocity I personally had to come up half of grain with my standard load to reach the same velocity

Right so what I get from this is he was overloading ("53.5 grain charge of H4831sc" against 51.5 published max load) to chase the velocity, when velocity was probably being knocked-down by the moly not the load.

Pressure came from the overload then, maybe, along with throat?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.