“Stop the Hammering!”

YZ-80

Lawrence O'Donnell would not have been happy if he were at my house tonight. I just got done pulling 27 6.5-284 rounds with the kinetic hammer. Seems I had them loaded a bit hot. Had a moderately stiff bolt lift and looks like some pancakes and ejector marks. This was a 53.5 grain charge of H4831sc under a 130 Accubond. Does that seem hot to you guys in a 6.5 Norma? I was getting 3,082 FPS out of it (SD 10; ES 31). See pic of the cases. I'm kind of bummed out about it cause it was looking very promising. Any suggestions on a charge I might back off to?
8267605C-6047-4E59-967C-37047F797773.jpeg

It is a confirmed, Norma [long throat] chamber and not a Winchester[short throat]?!
It's a custom Savage built on a long action as a 6.5-284. I have heard of throat variations with these but was unaware of this idiosyncracy with 6.5-284's until I got it. I didn't specify long or shot so I assume Savage would have chambered it the same as their production 6.5-284's (if that makes sense). I'm very happy with the rifle but there are some bullets that I can't seat out as far as I'd like to. That's why I run the Accubond and for me it works very well.

Reguardless of what others think about the performance of your load, it is obviously showing pressure signs. I would back off at least a grain and see where your at. Personally, I would switch powder with pressure signs like that at your velocity. H4831sc is a fantastic and very accurate powder, but seems to lack velocity. RL26, VV-N565, H1000, Retumbo, IMR7828SSC, and RL23 are all powders I would consider that would more than likely give better velocity.

Reguardless of what others think about the performance of your load, it is obviously showing pressure signs. I would back off at least a grain and see where your at. Personally, I would switch powder with pressure signs like that at your velocity. H4831sc is a fantastic and very accurate powder, but seems to lack velocity. RL26, VV-N565, H1000, Retumbo, IMR7828SSC, and RL23 are all powders I would consider that would more than likely give better velocity.
I think you're right. It was getting 2,940 fps with a 52.3 grain charge but I thought that was kinda slow so that's why I upped the charge. It shoots quite well at 52.3 (see my avatar) but it's absolutely fantastic at 53.5. I just don't want to beat my stuff up. If I can find one of the powders you suggested, I'll grab a pound and see what happens. If not, I'll retreat to the 52.3 grain charge and live with a little under .5 MOA for a while.

By your answer, it's probably not "long throated"? I'm aware of this issue, as I bought a pre-fit 6.5x284Norma a couple year ago and kept having pressures issues, like you, also. I sat down at the bench to figure out ***, built a brand new, fired from this chamber, modified case, along with my bore scope and found out, in fact, I don't have a Norma chamber! Now this rifle shoots itty bitty groups, when it's not blowing my face off and have just settled on the fact, that I can't shoot the long-heavies, which is OK. Reworking the load for 130-140 grain bullets now, because it shoots itty bitty groups!

Last edited:
B your answer, it's probably not "long throated"? I'm aware of this issue, as I bought a pre-fit 6.5x284Norma a couple year ago and kept having pressures issues, like you, also. I sat down at the bench to figure out ***, built a brand new, fired from this chamber, modified case, along with my bore scope and found out, in fact, I don't have a Norma chamber! Now this rifle shoots itty bitty groups, when it's not blowing my face off and have just settled on the fact, that I can't shoot the long-heavies, which is OK. Reworking the load for 130-140 grain bullets now, because it shoots itty bitty groups!
Yes. I guess the pedigree of this chamber is weird. I was all excited to shoot 143 ELD-X's out of mine when I got it but then I tried to seat them like a VLD bullet and was bummed out that I could not. They were so far in the case it was ridiculous. The Accubond has a different ogive profile and allowed me to seat out alot further so it's my go-to bullet. Shoots great, so issue resolved but If I ever have another one built, I'll make sure I know what i'm getting!

Very strange....as a buddy has his 65284 shooting bugholes at 2890fps...142lrab...54.3gr 4831sc with mag and he loads into the lands......liteweight rifle....no brake.....

Lawrence O'Donnell would not have been happy if he were at my house tonight. I just got done pulling 27 6.5-284 rounds with the kinetic hammer. Seems I had them loaded a bit hot. Had a moderately stiff bolt lift and looks like some pancakes and ejector marks. This was a 53.5 grain charge of H4831sc under a 130 Accubond. Does that seem hot to you guys in a 6.5 Norma? I was getting 3,082 FPS out of it (SD 10; ES 31). See pic of the cases. I'm kind of bummed out about it cause it was looking very promising. Any suggestions on a charge I might back off to?

It is a little late and I do not have hands-on experience but I ran into this ...

For those that use the inertia hammers. If you set up your bullet seating die and and just seat the bullet slightly deeper - just enough to brake any seal between the brass and bullet, the inertia hammer seems to have a lot easier time braking the bullet loose

According to Nosler 6th ed, you're right at max 53.5g H4831SC (3025 FPS out of 26") for the 130 NAB. It also shows AA3100 powder as the most accurate and fastest on their test (54.5 max, 3116 FPS).

What were your pressure sign, group, and velocity at 53g H4831SC?

#6 Nosler does show 130gn AB @ 53.5gn H4831SC (3025fps) as max but #8 shows that charge for 123/125gn bullet weights. It drops the charge to 51.5gn of H4831SC as MAX for the 129/130gn AB and ABLR. Velocity is 2627fps for 26" barrel.
I have shot the 6.5-284 Norma for quiet a few years now and the only thing I've battled recently is the carbon ring. Everything was fine till I tried the "not clean till accuracy drops off" regiment. That works fine for some cartridges (i.e., 6mmBR, .300WinMag) but not for me w/the 6.5-284. It is a top performing 6.5 and is a tad overbore. If I keep mine clean, I have no issues.
I run Retumbo right now. I have tried RL26 and it is ffaaaasssssttttttt! I took it to pressure with the 147gn and it was over 3100fps (Lothar Walther 28") but that beats me, the barrel and the brass up.
AA 3100 was a very accurate powder but is no longer produced, bummer.
Sounds like you might wanna back your charge of H4831SC down a couple grains and rework it, better yet try some Retumbo. Good luck brother.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.