Where do the $ stop ?

I know exactly what you are talking about with age and injuries. Spend you money on a Gym membership, physio treatments for the injuries and get yourself into the best physical shape possible. That will do far more for your shooting and hunting enjoyment than better reloading equipment.

I'm 72 had two heart attacks at 53, and........ those two babies changed my outlook on life completely!! I had a lifeless marriage and got divorced after 23 years, got out of a job that was killing me and changed my lifestyle/outlook and appreciation for life completely. I've got thirty-years of law enforcement behind me, I can tell you that they certainly took their tole on my body. I cannot walk like I used to or get around as well as I used to, don't focus on what I cannot do, but what I can do!! One of my favorite pass times is shooting and reloading. This forum got me in to precision reloading. If you can afford the high quality equipment then by all means buy the best. Just bought a new RCBS Supreme press and did spend around $350 for a set of dies though. I could not afford the best of equipment for measuring ogive dimensions and bump dimensions, bought the less expensive one as I only use them infrequently. In my opinion reloading is a process where one does not ever really stop spending money, but.....as someone posted on there, "You cannot take it with you!"

It end$?! Got my big popcorn for this!

popcorn eating gif.gif

And remember, "Reloading saves money!"
HA!
Of course we all started with that line and it may not be true for .223, 38 special or .357 mag. I am not into the costume for western shooting. But try and buy .32-20; .32-40; .38-55 and you will soon see it does save money. :)

Of course we all started with that line and it may not be true for .223, 38 special or .357 mag. I am not into the costume for western shooting. But try and buy .32-20; .32-40; .38-55 and you will soon see it does save money. :)

I agree, save a ton loading 38-55, 45-90 and the like versus buying it. Want to see real savings, Kynock 416 Rigby ammo, $480 Canadian for 20, 460 Weatherby $240/20. You can load them with top of the line bullets for under $50 a box and practice loads you can do for under a $1 each.

I'm assuming he was already set up for reloading when I wrote that
stuff. The average hunter doesn't need to measure ogives or any of
the stuff that dedicated target shooters or bench shooters do. If you
can hit a pie plate at 300 yards you are good to go. Of course it isn't
everyone that can do that even from a solid rest. I have 3, 25/20s
so I understand reloading.
Zeke

I thought entry level dies were great until I used higher quality. I haven't replaced all of them, but any that I buy new are Forster benchrest dies. I assume they make better ammo? But they are easier to use, set and adjust.

I thought priming on the press was fine until I bought the 21ST century tool. Now I know primers are all seated the same. Or at least as close as possible without gauging each primer and primer pocket.

This was a long time ago, but I thought .2 +/- on a charge would be good enough until I started using a chronograph. Then I needed a better scale.

A lot of it you just don't realize what you're missing out. Sometimes it's an increase in skill that shows inconsistencies in your system and warrants an upgrade. Other times you won't be able to tell a difference between $100 and $35 products. There will always be more things to spend money on, I tend to components more than equipment.

This was a long time ago, but I thought .2 +/- on a charge would be good enough until I started using a chronograph. Then I needed a better scale.
DON'T try the 21st Century Arbor Press with force gauge....
Unless you have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket...

DON'T try the 21st Century Arbor Press with force gauge....
Unless you have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket...

The only thing I have ever seen an arbor press used for was final seating of bullets at the range, it worked very well for that. Bullets were all loaded .050 long and he was using one to fine tune seating depth, seating in .005" increments.

The only thing I have ever seen an arbor press used for was final seating of bullets at the range, it worked very well for that. Bullets were all loaded .050 long and he was using one to fine tune seating depth, seating in .005" increments.
I used to seat like that too...

Buy what ever you feel comfortable operating and what makes your ammo the best for you. I personally love Dillon and Redding equipment. it does not mean you need to get these, just that these brands make me the best reloader I can be. there are all different grades of dies, presses, and equipment. find out what you like, how you like your press to work, the features you like, can't live without, and even the orientation of the action. all things you need to put into your spending money. I have run through and sold over $10,000.00 worth of equipment before settling on the combinations I have for different calibers. I am a Dillon guy, I like the versatility of the RL-550's. I have friends that will not touch the RL-550 but they love the RL-650. I have a Dillon RL-1050 for high volume ammo for my 45 ACP, 9MM and 38 Super. that is all that press loads. but it does it so well and fast that it is worth having. the RL-550's I have load everything else I shoot and my friend's shoot, and some of my clients that come in and use my equipment to load their own hunting and target ammo.
the best thing to remember, this loading equipment is yours, it will serve you. Make the experience you have loading as easy, pleasurable, and as intuitive as you can make it. Accuracy will follow and make your ammo better than you can ever buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts