When do you stop reloading brass?

wjm1000

This is on magnum size cases holding 80 to 140 grains of powder.

I have a friend that calms that after three firings the brass is shot out and the accuracy is gone. I don't think that is the case, if they are structurally sound and show no signs of head separation or necks having any cracking and primer pockets still being tight, the necks being annealed every time before being resized. I have never done any testing to determine if my opinion is or isn't correct.

What is your opinion on this?

I have a friend that calms that after three firings the brass is shot out and the accuracy is gone. I don't think that is the case, if they are structurally sound and show no signs of head separation or necks having any cracking and primer pockets still being tight, the necks being annealed every time before being resized. I have never done any testing to determine if my opinion is or isn't correct.

Sounds like you need to gather up your buddies so called used up brass😂

I stop reloading brass when I can't find it! Other than that 1 still use my super-x brass from late 70's to mid 80's that's been used more than 10 x's. That brass is seclusivily for the pre64 it started with. Having 2 more 264wm 's I'm using Norma to start with (haven't loaded/used any yet) for 1 new build and 1 post64 ('15 or '16 model). BTW, all brass was fl sized from the start.

I toss mine after 10 firings! I had one fail at 10…..decided that was a good number to toss them! It separated just forward of the belt.

Since then, I do minimal sizing…..so I might get more use from them!

Oh and……they had never been annealed! 😉😁 memtb

I have a friend that has been Chuck hunting for 40 years and shoots a 22-250.
He waits until he sees light showing through holes the case neck.

Personally we use Lapua Brass unless it is not offered in the cartridges we shoot. We keep a record of the brass and firings. Might have 100 in a batch at a time before we switch over to a NEW batch of brass.
When the primer pockets start to get loose (or we see holes in the neck) :D we throw that batch away.

Last edited: