Stop loading large batches of ammunition

Buddy on coast shooting his 65284 at 2890fps has very little wear....hairline...hundreds of rounds thru it...
My new 65284 26" carbon shows same hairline with led than 150 thru it....working on loads..but settling around 2930-50.....
I am jumping 142lrab...he is slightly jamming his 142lrab.....
What powders? Run H1000 for coolest burn temps, will help barrel life.

He's running 54.5gr..4831sc...2890fps...jammed
I am running 53.5gr..rl26....2940.....was .050" off....but finding better accuracy longer.... now at 3.120"oal.....

Why do benchresters and F-class guys feel the need to compare every other type of gun or shooting to benchrest competition and equipment? When was the last time you humped your bench gun into the woods?

My field gun is a 10lb 308WIN that will put 20 shots into 3/4moa at 200 yards...day in and day out. It will hold the vertical on a full size IPSC (1.5moa) at 1200 yards at 35*F and 90*F...day in and day out...

No retuning required.
Love to know your load.
As to the topic, I have been guilty of making 50 rounds at a time for my big boomers. Good topic

He's running 54.5gr..4831sc...2890fps...jammed
I am running 53.5gr..rl26....2940.....was .050" off....but finding better accuracy longer.... now at 3.120"oal.....
If you're concerned about land erosion and fire cracking, use rl26 in something else. Retumbo and H1000 will be 50fps slower, but have better barrel life and perhaps case fill. I shoot 6.5prc case capacity is almost identical. My first 6.5x284 is shipping, scored a CA ridgeline on closeout at Cabela's for 1300$. Dies and lapua brass en route. Plan is to get it all dialed in, loads developed and give it to my nephew who's outgrown his youth model 6.5 creed.

My normal routine is to maintain distance to the lands, so if the throat moves .001, I move the seating depth .001" and I adjust powder to stay in tune. That is until that doesnt work then you may need to re test seating depth. Barrels can change preference for seating depth at some point in their life.
Do you sort all your bullets? If you are looking at a .001" throat change I would assume you do but have to ask.

Right up until this post you were doing good.
As said before you are taking about chasing rifling yes it's a real issue, but you probably do more damage obsessing about it than actually gaining anything.

I 100% agree on the practice aspect of your post.
I find that a properly sized case that's prepared correctly with very consistent neck tension far exceeds idea that .001" of throat growth is the cause for a re-evaluation of your load. If .001" is causing these problems for you I'm very very impressed with your marksmanship and encourage you to post everything you can as it relates to shooting guns loads ect.

[OTE="25WSM, post: 1892246, member: 38048"]
I absolutely sort all my bullets. It's a fun time when that box of 2000 bullets comes in.
Shep
[/QUOTE]
Wasn't asking you! Was asking the OP.
Buying those small boxes makes it hard to find 70 winners.

The reason for sorting the bullets isn't for the .001 seating depth change. If my seating depth was that picky I would change to a more tollerant depth. The reason for the sorting is to help the consistency of the bc. Very slight variations show up as verticle at longer ranges. This answer is for anybody who wants to read it. Even Fred.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.