When does everyone stop load development?

I will stop Load Development when I can't do it anymore

I work to drive a particular bullet in a specific firearm at a velocity I expect achievable AND it must come in under 3/4" 3 shot at 200 yards. If I can't get that rifle to perform that well I usually sell it.

If I do attain the goals set for that rifle...and they always seem to come up with new bullet designs...I will try something else in that rifle, but, I have replaced barrels because they have been shot out. This is what shooting is all about. I always have a couple of boxes ready in the drawer for all my pet loads for a given rifle

Now on the other hand if I get to a rifle that pretty much digest everything (Sako 243) I go get another rifle to develop a load for or have one built.

I probably would not have burned out as many barrels if I had succumbed to using ladder test earlier in life. I like to support the shooting sports and manufactures obviously.

Very interesting thread.
I am in the learning process so I dont think my opinion counts on this one.
Will just keep on reading and learning.
Thanks guys.

Yes it is very interesting to get everyones opinions on this, so keep the replies coming guys. There are still some experts we haven't heard from on this yet. There just seem to be alot of guys out there that are in constant load development all the time. Anytime they shoot, they shoot 5 shot groups, over and over again. 'This is a very tempting habit to fall into becuase we all want to see how small of a group can we shoot. The more I think about it, I lean towards settiing a goal for a particular rifle and when that goal is reached, shoot no more groups! Unless of course you are working on another load. That will leave a lot of time for making cold bore single shots on LR targets.

And if you want a real challenge try developing an accurate "light bullet" and "heavy bullet" load for the same gun that hit the same POI so you don't have to fiddle with your scope switching between the two.

And if you want a real challenge try developing an accurate "light bullet" and "heavy bullet" load for the same gun that hit the same POI so you don't have to fiddle with your scope switching between the two.

Just so happened with my 220 Swift. A 55 Bal-Tip pushed with N-160 going 3900 and a 69 SMK pushed w/RL-22. Inside 600 the 55's, when the wind is going strong and beyond 600 go to the 69's without changing scope other than dial up for distance and wind when long ranging PD's in Wy.

I love load development. I doubt I will ever stop tweaking loads for my f-class rifle. I am always trying to bring down ES, sub half moa to whatever range till wind starts being a factor is good enough for me. There are so many variables to toy with, and there are numerous combinations that will click, so I will keep messing with it. For hunting rifles I will work up a load looking only at ES/SD and then take the ones that look promising and fidget with them to make nice cloverleaf groups, preferably small :D

I load up for each bullet weight I will be useing for each rifel.after I have found the right powder and charge weight to use for each bullet I STOP.then I just have as much fun the back pocket can stand.but when the load stops giveing me good accuracy I start all over again.

When I find the perfect load for every single available combination! I like to load and I like to shoot, and am constantly dreaming up something else I want to try.

Load Development never stops. I am always thinking about what I can do to make the gun or guns shoot better. If you ever do reach a point where load development stops its time to sell or rebarrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.