Press for loading Large Cal.

Str8aim

I am looking to buy a press to load my new rifle round, the rifle is cambered in 300 Improved. I looking to stay with a single stage press that might work a little easier. I am currently using the RCBS Rock Chucker but it seems to challenge the press when full length resizing. I am keeping the Rock Chucker but I have an opportunity to buy a big max. Or I can use the same amount of money for something else that might work better. I'm not sure this will make it any easier resizing another 100 rounds.

I have been reloading smaller Cal .17 fireball, .223 and 22-250 for the last few years. This is my first large bore cartridge.

I am open to any information and wanted to find out if anyone out there has recommendations.

Thanks for your input.

The rockchucker will do anything you toss at it.... I've been using mine for case-forming in addition to reloading. If you want a bit more gumption though I'd look at a summit or the like.

The press you have now, is it an old Rock Chucker or the new Supreme press?
If you have the new Supreme press, the only cartridge it WON'T size is the 50 BMG!!
I have the Supreme, it sizes 500 Nitro, 505 Gibbs and 500 Jeffrey cases with ease, these are far bigger than your 300 magnum case.

Cheers.
gun)

Which .300 Improved? .300 Ackley that's based on a .300 Wby Mag? If so, I load for mine on an RCBS Rocker Chucker Supreme.

I am loading the 300 improved based on the 300 rum. After fire forming the brass I am pushing the shoulder back.

My Rockchucker will do the work but it seems to take a bit more force. Someone else talk to me about the Forster because of the location of the handle being above the press.

I am loading the 300 improved based on the 300 rum. After fire forming the brass I am pushing the shoulder back.

My Rockchucker will do the work but it seems to take a bit more force. Someone else talk to me about the Forster because of the location of the handle being above the press.

If you aren't using Imperial Sizing Wax you might want to try some. You can push a Bowling Ball through a keyhole with that stuff!

SEMPER FI ........... SARGESNIPER

not the handle, but the fulcrum points and the true toggle system. Probably 30% more at the minimum. Are you trying to push the .300mag shoulder back all at once? If so, that's the hard way. Expand the neck to about .40 or even .43", and then push the shoulder back in increments. Either way you still will have to fire form the case after forming. How far off the .300WSM are you?
gary

Have used most all the major brand names at one time or another, and believe me the big dog is a Forster. There are some things about it that are uncomfortable to me.
But in a pinch you still can. I use two presses side by side, and one is a small RCBS. All I do with it is pull bullets and cut cases off with a jewelers saw. But have seated cast lead bullets in hand gun calibers very well with it. Still like the Co-Ax better for resizing those cases. Still had I todo all over, the RCBS would have been the Lee cast iron press.

My old shooting partner (before our falling out) used the biggest Redding and their turret press. That's all I heard about. When I bought my new safe he came with the middle line backers that delivered it. Once the safe was set, everybody centered around my loading setup. Nobody had ever seen what I used before, so we formed about sixty 30 Herrett cases. I loved it! They were running the cases thru the die and I was cutting them off in the RCBS. One of the guys called Fred Sinclair and ordered in a new Co-Ax while standing in my garage. Had me rework the jaws like I used, and never looked back. As I cut the cases off, I trimmed them to size (about .030" too long). Then charged them with my reworked Lyman #55. Guys asked me when I was going to weigh the charges. I said what for? They're within a couple tenths of a grain, and we're just fire forming them. (AA2230).
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.