Stop loading large batches of ammunition

The reason for sorting the bullets isn't for the .001 seating depth change. If my seating depth was that picky I would change to a more tollerant depth. The reason for the sorting is to help the consistency of the bc. Very slight variations show up as verticle at longer ranges. This answer is for anybody who wants to read it. Even Fred.
Shep
Shep LOL I've sorted a few bullets. And again I agree!

Alex is a real asset here on our site. And if the long range target shooters are doing things to be more accurate at long range then it only makes sense that your hunting rifle will be more accurate if you incorporate these same things. I used to think I knew how to make accurate ammo when I shot 1 and 200 yard benchrest. Shooting 5 shots into an oval hole. But when I started 1000 yard matches I found out what real reloading was. It is so much more involved and the tiniest things make a big difference. I build all my hunting rifles to the same standards as a 1000 yard rig and I load all my hunting ammo with as much care as I do my 1000 yard ammo. The little things really make a difference. And when Alex said he wants his loads to be 1/4 moa it's because it can be the difference between a lung hit and a gut hit.
Shep

I would also be interested in how many rounds it takes say a 280ai shooting IMR7828 say 60 grains with 162 eldx's to erode .001 of throat and in contrast the same .001" erosion in a 6mm BR shooting RL15 with 115 jlk's or something in that class.

Just kidding. Way to many variables to know exactly. How good is the barrel steel. How long are your strings of fire. How hot are they loaded. Just to name a few.
Shep

Alex is a real asset here on our site. And if the long range target shooters are doing things to be more accurate at long range then it only makes sense that your hunting rifle will be more accurate if you incorporate these same things. I used to think I knew how to make accurate ammo when I shot 1 and 200 yard benchrest. Shooting 5 shots into an oval hole. But when I started 1000 yard matches I found out what real reloading was. It is so much more involved and the tiniest things make a big difference. I build all my hunting rifles to the same standards as a 1000 yard rig and I load all my hunting ammo with as much care as I do my 1000 yard ammo. The little things really make a difference. And when Alex said he wants his loads to be 1/4 moa it's because it can be the difference between a lung hit and a gut hit.
Shep

That's 100% Correct and fair statement but I would bet 95% of hunters can't shoot well enough to get a .250" moa rifle to shoot in .5 moa consistently. None the less at 1K. The time and practice it takes is far more than all bet the most obsessed gun nuts are willing to spend.
Wsm what caliber are you bench shooting in contrast to your hunter

Just kidding. Way to many variables to know exactly. How good is the barrel steel. How long are your strings of fire. How hot are they loaded. Just to name a few.
Shep

Say groups of five and cool complete and patch clean between strings. Good steel I've been shooting boots r5's until he fell ill. Now mostly proof for a wrapped and Brux or Krieger in the cut rifle.

Alex are you making your own bullets? Or shooting someone's if so who's bullets or what jacket supplier are you using.

I personally shot my 6.5 Creed most often. I use 147eldms at 2860fps. I've shot 3.9 inches for 10 shots in a match. I have a 6slr barrel that I have done well with. I have a 6BRA on the wheeler reamer. I've shot 2 inch 5 shot groups during practice. But I'm not good enough with it in the wind. My heavy gun is a 300wsm shooting 210s at 2870. I'm switching to a 7mm soon as my barrel gets here. I'm a big believer in bc when shooting in wind. The big 7mm bullets should make me feel good anyway. I'm hooked on the 1000 yard game. If I was invited to king of the mile or further I would just say no because I would get hooked on that and I can't afford to shoot that artillery.
Shep

I am going to give the 6.5 Berger 144 hybrids a good go this yr. And in the 7mm I'm going to try the 190 Berger.
I've shot alot of 107mks and 110mks but I've had more success with Berger's.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.