X Bolt Max Long Range Hunter

The only thing I hate about the X-Bolts are the detachable magazines. I wish they would go with a either a single-stack detachable mag, like the AICS-style, or go with a hinged floorplate like the 700. With the amount of room the X-Bolt has opened up in the bottom of the action to accept the thick plastic DM's, they could run a very thin internal box mag with an internal OAL of probably close to 3.750" to 3.850". They would be king of the magnums if they did that.
My magazine will accept up to a 3.710 right now. I agree though I'd like to see at least 3.750 so you could seat those 197s in a 28 waaaaay out there

Has anyone tried sanding the mag out? I'm there a quite a bit of plastic on the front. They seem like good magazines; they function well and I like how flush they sit. I do agree I wish they would take advantage of the space.

Has anyone tried sanding the mag out? I'm there a quite a bit of plastic on the front. They seem like good magazines; they function well and I like how flush they sit. I do agree I wish they would take advantage of the space.

No, but I would assume you could loose around .1 or more.

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on an x-bolt long range mcmillan. Do you guys think the mcmillan stock, cerakote, and 11 oz is worth $700?

The only thing I hate about the X-Bolts are the detachable magazines. I wish they would go with a either a single-stack detachable mag, like the AICS-style, or go with a hinged floorplate like the 700. With the amount of room the X-Bolt has opened up in the bottom of the action to accept the thick plastic DM's, they could run a very thin internal box mag with an internal OAL of probably close to 3.750" to 3.850". They would be king of the magnums if they did that.
I run one of these in 25-06 - I find the plastic magazine is quiet, secure and durable - no rattle or movement at all.

I run one of these in 25-06 - I find the plastic magazine is quiet, secure and durable - no rattle or movement at all.
It's not that it has a bad magazine, it's that it has a detachable magazine. Personally, I don't run DBM's in my precision rifles. I like a hinged floorplate, like a 700. Personal preference.

Hmm I love old Browning stuff and haven't been a fan for quite some time. But man they are really thinking things through. I'm impressed and can't wait to see one up close.

I had to carve a bit out of a buddy's to get his ammo to work. I loaded his ammo before our elk hunt and tested them in only one of his 2 mags. Somehow he lost the one mag and the ammo was a little too long to function in the other...?

I had to carve a bit out of a buddy's to get his ammo to work. I loaded his ammo before our elk hunt and tested them in only one of his 2 mags. Somehow he lost the one mag and the ammo was a little too long to function in the other...?

Ouch glad you were able to get it running. Amazing how the most random things happen when you go on a hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.