X Bolt Max Long Range Hunter

After looking at the Browning site, only the special edition X-bolts have the fast twist in 7RM...
ALL of the "long range" rifles manufactured since last year have the fast twist--just make sure if you want the fast twist rate you get one made in 2018 or newer--- there are still 2017 models out there on the shelf with the same upc/model number that have the old slow twist rate as the new fast twist ones

those "long range" hells canyon rifles are mechanically no different than their long range stalker rifle but 2-3x more expensive just for the cera-kote and cammo stocks--same goes for this new "MAX LR" rifle--its the same thing with a different stock

Only thing I really haven't seen from Browing yet is a "super light" rifle (closest is their x-bolt Pro line)--I'm wondering if they will come out with one for shot show this year to compete with the kimber's, tikka's, rem mountain, win extreme, etc --seems like if you product a "ultra-light" rifle you can slap a "premium" price on it and it sells fast--lightweight is "in" right now too

The "hells canyon spped" version of the stalker is like $250 more than the regular stalker. Not even close to 2-3x more expensive. while i could care less about stock camo, cerakoting a barreled action is usually ~150$. The version that is 2x more expensive has a mcmillan game scout stock. That is a 700 dollar stock directly from mcmillan.

For factory options those do not seem overpriced to me.

They also have a new tungsten edition. it is 6lb 1 oz for short action. Thats not fieldcraft light but it is tikka light

The "hells canyon spped" version of the stalker is like $250 more than the regular stalker. Not even close to 2-3x more expensive. while i could care less about stock camo, cerakoting a barreled action is usually ~150$. The version that is 2x more expensive has a mcmillan game scout stock. That is a 700 dollar stock directly from mcmillan.

For factory options those do not seem overpriced to me.

They also have a new tungsten edition. it is 6lb 1 oz for short action. Thats not fieldcraft light but it is tikka light
suggested retail is only a few hundred less for the stalker vs the hells canyon--but look up real world seling price-- the stalker LR sells for in the mid $600 range--most of the hells canyon rifles are $900-1200 or more actual sell price

the tungsten edition is just a different color option to the standard pro, tungsten vs burnt bronze--and the magnums in that series are 6lb, 10 oz-- the pro LR is 7lb 8 oz for the magnums

suggested retail is only a few hundred less for the stalker vs the hells canyon--but look up real world seling price-- the stalker LR sells for in the mid $600 range--most of the hells canyon rifles are $900-1200 or more actual sell price

the tungsten edition is just a different color option to the standard pro, tungsten vs burnt bronze--and the magnums in that series are 6lb, 10 oz-- the pro LR is 7lb 8 oz for the magnums

Lol come on the speed rifles aren't even 1200 bucks at Cabela's.

You're looking at a 250-300 dollar increase when stalkers go on good sales. Flat out of a big box store it's $200 more.

Literally what I've been saying is 250 dollars more. 300-350 more from shopping around for online deals, 200 more from a big box.

No where close to 2x-3x the price.

This is irrelevant though. The max should come in right around speed pricing of 1k give or take 100$. Which for an adjustable riser and twist for heavies seems like a cool entry for the market. I am interested to see how stiff that stock is, and if it's "bedded" my stalker shoots well but "bedding" is a bit of a reach...

Literally what I've been saying is 250 dollars more. 300-350 more from shopping around for online deals, 200 more from a big box.

No where close to 2x-3x the price.

This is irrelevant though. The max should come in right around speed pricing of 1k give or take 100$. Which for an adjustable riser and twist for heavies seems like a cool entry for the market. I am interested to see how stiff that stock is, and if it's "bedded" my stalker shoots well but "bedding" is a bit of a reach...
maybe I'm misunderstanding-- but the stalker LR is $630, the hells canyon speed (NOT LR) is $1050 --thats $420 more, the hells canyon LR is $1100 --thats $470 more, and the McM LR is $1700 which is $1070 more , which makes them 1.6-2.7 times more expensive for cera-kote, camouflage and fiberglass stocks as the mechanical parts are all still the same
but I was just trying to let people know that the LR stalker seems to be a better deal than any of the hells canyon rifles unless you really like cera-kote or camouflage as it is the same rifle mechanically

as far as the new "MAX" model, if it comes in around $1000 street price, that is $400 more for a composite stock with adjustable cheek riser, seems kinda pricey for a composite stock but I'm sure people will still buy them as the browning composite stocks seem to be better than other manufactures versions

I do like to see the new cartridge offering thought--the more the merrier

maybe I'm misunderstanding-- but the stalker LR is $630, the hells canyon speed (NOT LR) is $1050 --thats $420 more, the hells canyon LR is $1100 --thats $470 more, and the McM LR is $1700 which is $1070 more , which makes them 1.6-2.7 times more expensive for cera-kote, camouflage and fiberglass stocks as the mechanical parts are all still the same
but I was just trying to let people know that the LR stalker seems to be a better deal than any of the hells canyon rifles unless you really like cera-kote or camouflage as it is the same rifle mechanically

as far as the new "MAX" model, if it comes in around $1000 street price, that is $400 more for a composite stock with adjustable cheek riser, seems kinda pricey for a composite stock but I'm sure people will still buy them as the browning composite stocks seem to be better than other manufactures versions

I do like to see the new cartridge offering thought--the more the merrier

well while varies for calibers and availability my search is showing mid 600s for stalker and 950-1000 for speed rifles(most are sold out now but this is past listings, but sure ill give you 400 why not.

First search result on a mcmillan version is 1750. So 700 dollars extra for a mcmillan game scout.. are you saying thats a ridiculous upcharge? I paid more than that for my manners so i'm going to disagree there.

Your initial post stated 2x the price for a cerakote job. To me, thats disingenuous as a mcmillan stock is a massive cost to leave out when considering it is the model that is 2x-3x the price.

I DO agree that the stalker is a great deal, its why i have one instead of a HC model

accidentally Posted before finished and edited a lot, sorry!

According to browning the stalker long range is no longer in production.
according to the website, yes-- but I can still find some online and the guy I got mine from this year said he contacted browning directly and they could still special order one through browning (even says this on browning's web site iirc)-- they have sold them at least 2 years in a row now as shot show specials, I expect to see another 2019 Shot Show version again but I could be wrong

Everyone rants and raves about fast twist rates on here. But there aren't any ammo manufacturers making ammo to take advantage of it, so why would rifle manufacturers care? Handloaders may dominate this website, but are a small portion of the hunting market in general.

Everyone rants and raves about fast twist rates on here. But there aren't any ammo manufacturers making ammo to take advantage of it, so why would rifle manufacturers care? Handloaders may dominate this website, but are a small portion of the hunting market in general.
There's no real ill effect with the fast twist so why not? The only time I think you'll run into issues is if you try to run a very light for caliber varmint bullet at very fast velocity. I dont see why people are having an issue with this. I think its great to atleast have the option.

The only thing I hate about the X-Bolts are the detachable magazines. I wish they would go with a either a single-stack detachable mag, like the AICS-style, or go with a hinged floorplate like the 700. With the amount of room the X-Bolt has opened up in the bottom of the action to accept the thick plastic DM's, they could run a very thin internal box mag with an internal OAL of probably close to 3.750" to 3.850". They would be king of the magnums if they did that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.