X Bolt Max Long Range Hunter

I know people don't like to do this with a factory rifle (I do it) but if you buy a rifle that has a short mag box and you are wanting to load long, heavy bullets, just single feed the heck outta that sucker! If you are truly shooting longrange, you will have time to reload a round manually. If not, don't buy it haha.

I preordered one in .300 Win.Mag yesterday and dealer was told by Browning it would be July. Wait, wait, wait.

I just went back to the site and saw they offer the 7RM in a 9.5 twist. Is that accurate? Other long range models have 8" twist available. Seems a waste to put all the bells and whistles on a long range rifle and then not tighten the twist to utilize the heavies.

I was excited about this rifle, but if the twist isn't any faster than my Sako a7, I don't see the point.

I just went back to the site and saw they offer the 7RM in a 9.5 twist. Is that accurate? Other long range models have 8" twist available. Seems a waste to put all the bells and whistles on a long range rifle and then not tighten the twist to utilize the heavies.

I was excited about this rifle, but if the twist isn't any faster than my Sako a7, I don't see the point.

Good catch, very weird considering most all other chamberings have fast twist rates.

I just can't figure out why some of the long range variants have the tighter twist, but this one doesn't. It's so counter- intuitive, it makes me think it's a mistake.

I think switching all models to fast twist would be the wrong approach. 99% of hunters out there are shooting 300 yards and less at deer for example. In these cases, a lighter bullet going mach 10 speeds is way more desirable than a heavy bullet going slow.

Hunting - velocity over weight - think Barnes. With some states mandating led-free, you need to go with Barnes and the like. People have found over the years that they work best at higher velocities.

Hunting - velocity over weight - think Barnes. With some states mandating led-free, you need to go with Barnes and the like. People have found over the years that they work best at higher velocities.
I am not sure any of that is sound advice. Unless you are in a state that requires it, why would you shoot monos? Why are they superior to a partition or an aframe or an accubond within 300 yards?

I am not sure any of that is sound advice. Unless you are in a state that requires it, why would you shoot monos? Why are they superior to a partition or an aframe or an accubond within 300 yards?
Weight retention and penetration are the 2 main reasons for using monos, but not all monos are created equal-- hh all the way!

Weight retention and penetration are the 2 main reasons for using monos, but not all monos are created equal-- hh all the way!

:rolleyes:I think there are better options than monos - I guess if you are limiting your shots to less than 4 or 5 hundred yards and you don't care about weak BCs, maybe they are for you. I haven't been impressed with any of the monos I have tried...the only way I would use a mono is if I lived and hunted in a state like California who forces you to use them.

I'd rather have your Sako!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.