Why No Love For 270 Ackley Improved?

I would consider the 270 AI or 270 Sherman now simply because of the new 170 gr. Berger EOL, but it takes a 1/8" twist in a custom barrel to make it work. The 257 and 270 bullets haven't received much development in a high B.C. configuration until recently. I doubt it will crimp the sales of 7mm bullets, barrels etc. just by the market presence of everything 7mm.
PacNor and Mcgowen makes 8 twist 270 caliber barrels.:)

Then let's all return to black powder cartridges. Speed is what allows bullets to drop and drift less and carry more energy at extended ranges. Given the same bullet design and BC, I'll take a 300RUM over a 300 Savage any day in elk country.

After all, it is the constant quest for improved performance that brought us out of the black powder era and into LRH and beyond.

The P51 was a great plane for 1944, but how many would pilot it against today's jets? :)
I typed up a response to this that was a bit condescending, so I just wiped it out and decided to be grown up. Like i said, That's how I feel about this issue. I still don't see the need to create some wildcat that is basically the same as something already available......but if that floats your boat....don't let me be the one pulling the plug on it. I see arguing over which is better, 300 wm 300 rum 300 Weatherby 300 wsm and the list goes on every other post. From what I see here.....Whatever you have is the best and everyone else is an idiot for even thinking of owning one of the others. I am not looking for a fight over this. It doesn't mean that much to me. I think the 300 rum is a good round. It's just not for me. Same as many of the other latest and greatest....ie 6.5 creed

Because you have at least 5x the bullet selection with a 7mm than you do with a .270... Not to mention the greater ballistic coefficients.

There's really no arguing this. The only reason to go 270 is because someone wants one. Still, I think the bullet selection overblown. How many times do we hear someone who has literally burned a barrel out with one or two different bullets? What are those most commonly used LR bullets? Bergers? NAB/LR? ELDX/M?

The 270 has all those available too save for the match version of the ELD. What it needs now is for the standard twist to catch up to today's style of shooting and reloading.

No one should apologise for running a 270 of any flavor. I'm really high on the WSM right now. Would it be better as a 7mm? Maybe, but I think this is as much performance as I could handle in a ~8 1/2 lb rifle burning 70+ grains of powder. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it with a 180 grain cork. A 145 grain ELD at 3200 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

What are those most commonly used LR bullets? Bergers? NAB/LR? ELDX/M?
For LR those would be the picks, but we'd need them in the 160-175gr to really compete with the 7mm selection. And if Matrix isn't shipping to the US that leaves one bullet IMO, the 170gr EOL. That was my issue with going with the 270 AI. So IMO the reason to go with a 270 is the known bullet performance on game. There are hunters who have experience and trust their track record with the 270 Win on big game. So in that sense a 270 AI makes perfect sense IMO. They can gain some more velocity and cut down on trimming brass.

That's a huge bummer about Matrix. I was looking forward to trying them when I found people were stabilizing them in a 10 twist. I hope this isn't more of Trump's trade war at work.

yeah I agree it is a bummer. But with some hope maybe Sierra and Hornady might fill the gap. They have been with the 7mm pills and Hornady did make the 277-145gr ELD-X. And there still is the 170gr EOL.

There are some really good bullets out there just have to root around a bit for the old .270. Try Cutting Edge Bullets with 140 grain MTH bullet with BC of .590 so not bad for reaching out there a bit. They also have a 130 gr MTH as well. I have used CE bullets and never had to work hard to find a good load. Great to talk to as well.
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/277-140gr-single-feed-mth-match-tactical-hunting

My next build is going to be a plain old .270 with 26" barrel and 1:9 twist. Pulling parts together now so maybe by 2020 I will have it done.....budget rules right now.:(