Why no long range Nolsler partition?

Bigcat_hunter

Seems like they could add a plastic tip & a boat tail. Maybe add more of a separation between the partition for better weight retention? I took an elk at 500+ with a partition and it hammered it. Heart and lungs were jello. If they could streamline the bullet seems like it could work. Couldn't be worse then a thin jacketed target bullet right?

That would be a good idea, but they already have the Accubond which is a great controlled expanding bullet. Nosler already has tons of bullet designs available so another one isn't really needed I believe.

Seems like they could add a plastic tip & a boat tail. Maybe add more of a separation between the partition for better weight retention? I took an elk at 500+ with a partition and it hammered it. Heart and lungs were jello. If they could streamline the bullet seems like it could work. Couldn't be worse then a thin jacketed target bullet right?

Most partitioned bullets are flat base because of manufacturing needs The swift sirocco has a slight boat tail and I think it is a partition type bullet.

I to have used the partition and really like it under 500 yards. for longer shots I use the Accubond
and have been very pleased with the outcome every time.

BCs are very important but bullet performance is also very important so one has to chose which to
use for the best all round performance.

J E CUSTOM

I have wondered the same thing. Before my LR days I preferred and used partitions with great success. Hated the way the tips deformed though. Not really a plastic tip fan but I would definitely give them a try if they came up with a VLD/Hybrid partition that competed with the Berger Hybrids in BC. I would prefer a bullet that had the Hybrid profile with the Partition or A-Frame structure.

That would be a good idea, but they already have the Accubond which is a great controlled expanding bullet. Nosler already has tons of bullet designs available so another one isn't really needed I believe.

My only hunting experience with an Accubond was with a 180 out of a 300 WSM that hit the lower edge of the spine of a cow elk and exploded. Was not real impressed but it did get the job done. The newer ABLRs are even more frangible. Huge diff between AB's and Partitions. The standard AB's have mediocre BC's

Most partitioned bullets are flat base because of manufacturing needs The swift sirocco has a slight boat tail and I think it is a partition type bullet.

I to have used the partition and really like it under 500 yards. for longer shots I use the Accubond
and have been very pleased with the outcome every time.

BCs are very important but bullet performance is also very important so one has to chose which to
use for the best all round performance.

J E CUSTOM

The Scirocco is a bonded cup and core bullet. The A-Frame is Swifts partition like bullet...IMO, a better integrity design than the Partitons

I have wondered the same thing. Before my LR days I preferred and used partitions with great success. Hated the way the tips deformed though. Not really a plastic tip fan but I would definitely give them a try if they came up with a VLD/Hybrid partition that competed with the Berger Hybrids in BC. I would prefer a bullet that had the Hybrid profile with the Partition or A-Frame structure.

My only hunting experience with an Accubond was with a 180 out of a 300 WSM that hit the lower edge of the spine of a cow elk and exploded. Was not real impressed but it did get the job done. The newer ABLRs are even more frangible. Huge diff between AB's and Partitions. The standard AB's have mediocre BC's

The Scirocco is a bonded cup and core bullet. The A-Frame is Swifts partition like bullet...IMO, a better integrity design than the Partitons

I never have been a Nosler fan but have heard a lot of positives about the Accubonds, but have never tried them. Their BCs are low but so is that of most "premium" bullets. The reason I don't like Noslers is because my brother used a Partion in his .308 and hit a deer behind the shoulder at 150yds and it ran 70yds. Upon examining the wound, the entry was small and the exit was a little bigger. Inside it looked like the bullet
fragmented because there were cuts all through the ribs and vitals. Thought they were suppose to be the ultimate bullet but they didn't impress me.

I never have been a Nosler fan but have heard a lot of positives about the Accubonds, but have never tried them. Their BCs are low but so is that of most "premium" bullets. The reason I don't like Noslers is because my brother used a Partion in his .308 and hit a deer behind the shoulder at 150yds and it ran 70yds. Upon examining the wound, the entry was small and the exit was a little bigger. Inside it looked like the bullet
fragmented because there were cuts all through the ribs and vitals. Thought they were suppose to be the ultimate bullet but they didn't impress me.

Every now and then you will come a cross a story where an animal that was hit well ran off a little way. Sometimes critters do that. Not sure why, but they run when they're supposed to be dead. Maybe it's adrenaline? Sounds to me like the bullet did what it was supposed to... penetrate, cause internal damage and exit.

You will get less DRT's with controlled expansion bullets because they are designed to retain mass, and penetrate and therefore do not cause a lot of collateral internal damage. I've killed maybe 30 deer, antelope and a large bull elk and bighorn sheep with 7mm 160 gr partitions. Few were DRT's, most went a few steps and fell over, some wandered a little farther but none more than 20 yards. Exit holes were about the size of a nickel to a quarter.

Partitions have been reported to come apart at higher velocities, like maybe 3000 fps +. The A-Frame design has a thicker cross member (partition) and a sealed tail which makes them much tougher than Partitions.

Frangible bullets, like Bergers which basically grenade inside the animal cause massive amounts of internal damage and will put animals down quicker, on average, than controlled expansion bullets, provided they are used correctly, i.e, heavy for cal with lower MV's and placed in the vitals.

ABLR's and Bergers re both frangible bullets. The difference is, the ABLR with its tip and thin nose jacket is designed to expand at lower velocites. At close range, high velocity, they explode on contact. Bergers on the other hand penetrate a couple inches or so and then explode inside the animal, provided they aren't driven at uber velocities.

Every now and then you will come a cross a story where an animal that was hit well ran off a little way. Sometimes critters do that. Not sure why, but they run when they're supposed to be dead. Maybe it's adrenaline? Sounds to me like the bullet did what it was supposed to... penetrate, cause internal damage and exit.

You will get less DRT's with controlled expansion bullets because they are designed to retain mass, and penetrate and therefore do not cause a lot of collateral internal damage. I've killed maybe 30 deer, antelope and a large bull elk and bighorn sheep with 7mm 160 gr partitions. Few were DRT's, most went a few steps and fell over, some wandered a little farther but none more than 20 yards. Exit holes were about the size of a nickel to a quarter.

Partitions have been reported to come apart at higher velocities, like maybe 3000 fps +. The A-Frame design has a thicker cross member (partition) and a sealed tail which makes them much tougher than Partitions.

Frangible bullets, like Bergers which basically grenade inside the animal cause massive amounts of internal damage and will put animals down quicker, on average, than controlled expansion bullets, provided they are used correctly, i.e, heavy for cal with lower MV's and placed in the vitals.

ABLR's and Bergers re both frangible bullets. The difference is, the ABLR with its tip and thin nose jacket is designed to expand at lower velocites. At close range, high velocity, they explode on contact. Bergers on the other hand penetrate a couple inches or so and then explode inside the animal, provided they aren't driven at uber velocities.

Yea I understand the difference between controlled expansion bullets and bullets like the Bergers. I was just surprized the Partition showed signs of fragmentation inside the deer. I actually like when the animal is a DRT, this saves you from tracking and the possibility (has happened to us) of a rain coming in and washing the fresh blood away. I'm looking forward to testing out the Hornady A-MAX on game. Have heard they work extremely well. I really like Hornady and have had nothing but success with them. The A-MAXs also have high BCs so should make great long range bullets, especially the 208gr out of my .308 Norma Mag.

J.E. is correct about a boat tail being difficult in a std, nosler partition because of the open lead base. I have made partitions in a high b.c. design tipped bullet by adding the partition inside a cup and core. They work VERY well but are difficult and expensive to produce.....Rich

Yea I understand the difference between controlled expansion bullets and bullets like the Bergers. I was just surprized the Partition showed signs of fragmentation inside the deer. I actually like when the animal is a DRT, this saves you from tracking and the possibility (has happened to us) of a rain coming in and washing the fresh blood away.

It really doesn't surprise me that you had a bit of frag with a partition on a critter; they are really only designed to hold on to 60% or so of the original weight.

I've put a number of accubonds through critters ( but no partitions); never caught one but usually it looks like you took a 1" jagged edge hole punch after them. One doe I shot with my sendero 7stw at 500 yards through the neck with a 140 accubond actually had a hole you could look through if you held the neck right.

It really doesn't surprise me that you had a bit of frag with a partition on a critter; they are really only designed to hold on to 60% or so of the original weight.

I've put a number of accubonds through critters ( but no partitions); never caught one but usually it looks like you took a 1" jagged edge hole punch after them. One doe I shot with my sendero 7stw at 500 yards through the neck with a 140 accubond actually had a hole you could look through if you held the neck right.

Well I guess I should have known they only retain about 60% of their weight. I mean they worked great for my little brother on his first deer and his Model 88 Winchester loves them so we are going to stick with them for the in close hunting. Couldn't go wrong with the way we got the Partitions, friend of the family heard my brother got a .308 that our Pap gave him and our friend give him 100 reloads that had Federal brass all loaded with a hot load pushing a 150gr Partition. My Dad wasn't sure what was in them so reprimed all 100 rounds then loaded them with a reduced recoil load for my little brother that only drives the 150s around 2600fps I believe. The rifle shoots around 1 MOA with these loads and is great for shots up to 200yds.

Well I have been using the. Hornady SSTs for a while now and none have exploded on me yet even at really close ranges like 15yds in the woods. I always assumed from what I have heard others say, that the Accubond was like one of the best bullets around for hunting, I guess they fragment easy too.

The Sciroccos are actually bonded just like the a-frames and retain weight better than the accubonds in my book. Although they seem to be more finicky to get to shoot than the noslers.

Reuben

The A-Frame is Swifts partition like bullet...IMO, a better integrity design than the Partitons

The Swift .338 275 grain A-Frame for those times when something just needs a large hole all the way through it right now.

No complaints with the partition, but the A-Frame seems to hold together longer at high impact velocities. Different design goals, the Partition is designed to come apart at some point, and in this particular case comparing it to a bullet 10% lighter isn't totally fair either.

The Swift .338 275 grain A-Frame for those times when something just needs a large hole all the way through it right now.

No complaints with the partition, but the A-Frame seems to hold together longer at high impact velocities. Different design goals, the Partition is designed to come apart at some point, and in this particular case comparing it to a bullet 10% lighter isn't totally fair either.

I agree with the two diffwerent design goals. The A-Frame has a heavier jacket up front and is also bonded. It is intended for heavier, and/or dangerous game. I have killed around 25 elk with 140 Nosler partitions and they were, and still are, one of the best all around bullets. They fragment and cause a lot of damage with the front section and the back 40% ALWAYS stays together to drive on through. The only reason that I don't use them as much anymore is because I'm shooting at extreme ranges and the b.c. is not as high as many of the newer bullets. That said, they WILL expand at long range.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.