Nosler AB Long Range No Good?

So I contacted Nosler and told them what I was experiencing. They asked me to send the box of bullets back to them from replacement. The bullets in the replacement box didn't display the problem. Their bearing surface diameter was more or less uniform like the other bullets in my reloading room I had tested. I don't remember what Nosler told me. Something about the bullet die may have been nearing the end of its useful life. I think the useful life had already been exceeded. I never shot any of the large-in-the-butt bullets for accuracy, so I can't say how they shot, or would have shot.

I did some very quick caliper measurements using a comparator, measuring essentially from the base of the bullet to the ogive, and I got some larger variations between bullets than the 210 bergers. I did not think enough to justify the awful groups I was getting. looking back I wish I had done more investigation of bullet dimensions, but I had an infant and a 1.5 year old at home and just didn't have the time... or the energy. I did call Nosler, and got the very opposite customer service experience. They basically said the problem was with the gun and not their fancy bullets. Good to hear you had a good experience because I certainly did not.

Again, I'm not saying you didn't get a bad box. Just saying that regardless of how good and accurate your rifle is, it is my opinion that there will be bullets that it just will not digest well at all. ABLRs or others.

I completely get what you are saying. That is why this whole thing bugs me. If they ever become available I'll try them again just to figure it out.

JMUPT, good feedback, thanks for the post. Good to hear they performed very well on game for you.

Yeah that antelope had an impact velocity about 1650. I am pretty sure from the golf ball exit and where she was hit they will expand at lower velocities. I don't think it is comparing apples to apples talking VLD's and Hybrids. The 215 Hybrid has a .400" hollow void in the front. I like what I see from this in the very dead animals I have taken with them. I can think of 3 antelope right off from 972 yards to 1285 and all had golf ball exits.

BnG will let us know this fall at some lower velocity impacts. The **** things fly so good I would have to go to over 1500 yards to get below 1500 fps.

But the good news is, the Accuracy is there with the 215 Hybid Berger. That should count for more than some will give credit. Accuracy and less drift rank pretty high in my book for a long range bullet at the distances we are talking here to get below 1500 fps.

Jeff

The lower velocity expansion with the hybrids is encouraging. Perhaps that longer hollow cavity providing the larger diameter nose on the lead core = more surface area to initiate expansion of the lead core.

That's what I am thinking Paul. Take the tip off and it is a large flat surface.

I think this might be something that was stumbled into. At least I it was for me.

Jeff

Jeff,

What is your opinion on how the 200 hybrids might expand? My 308 eats them alive. Granted they drift a bit more and deliver a bit less energy but they do kick me less and are a bit more accurate.

I am sorry Michael, I have not even looked at them. Since finding the 215's I have never looked back. But if the nose area is similar to the 215 with the big void I would think they would be great. We probably think different here but I would have a brake on the 308 so fast it would be scary and stick with the 215. Talk about spotting hits!!

jeff

Someone asked about close range, high velocity impacts on game with the ALR. I found a great load with them for my .300 RUM using Retumbo. Accuracy was sub MOA out to 500 yards. (Didn't test further, I was working with one hard to get box) Velocity was just a shade under 3100 fps. I shot a 5x6 bull at just about 60 yards or so. Piled him up on the spot with a shot that was just a bit high in the shoulder. About a 3" exit. I aslo shot a mule deer at around 370 yards. Double lung, it ran about 20 yards and died. Small entrance, about a 1 and 1/2 exit. Overall I was pleased but will probably go back to the original 200 grain Accubond. They work very well and obviously are easier to get. I may launch the remaining ones I have at some longer ranges just for kicks. mtmuley

mtmuley

Thanks for posting that key info. Good to know that you too were able to get them to shoot and that they worked on both elk and deer at both closer and medium range and that they held together good enough to exit both animals. How much meat damage did you see?

The fact that these bullets came out in the middle of a component shortage is a shame. Maybe our grandkids will be able to buy some one day!

I checked with Nosler yesterday. They will have their next production runs for the Accubond Long Range bullets on the streets as follows:

210 gr, 30 cal: August
175 gr, 7mm: October

Looks like the shelves will be pretty bare until then.

I am suspect about Noslers claim of availability in June. Hope I'm wrong, but I have been removed in the last month from a couple of backorder lists and told I would be contacted when available. I have had great excellent results with the 210's LRAB's, but i only got my hands on a partial box of 100. I really want to try them this coming season on game but I cant get my hands on any! If anyone is willing to sell some, I'm desperate.

I have been playing with the .284 175 in my new 7lrm. This is a new, unproven rifle but it has printed a few promising, sub moa groups, all at 100 with retumbo and us 868, both at 3050. I am sitting on 400 of them so hopefully they shoot and perform well. I mostly shoot coues deer at ranges of 300-700 yards, all I don't foresee an issue.

i know a samplesize of one is small, but i shot a mulie buck last year 168 lrab out of my 7rsaum, just under 3000 muzzle velocity
hard quartering away shot entered in front of right hip, exited thru left shoulder blade, golf ball sized hole, lots of bloodshot on exit
6 coyotes, 20-611 yards, everyone has a big hole thru the body,,,,

cant make the 175 shoot in any of my rifles, the 150 lrab in my sons 7mag shoots easy .6 moa out to 500 yards,3115fps, plenty good for him,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.