Ruger No. 1 for long range

The viability of the Ruger #1 as a long range rifle really depends on what you define as long range.........

Always comes back to this, and I sometimes let my enthusiasm for these rifles get ahead of me.

Benchracer has already outlined aesthetics the #1A comes with, and the reasons for carrying them. Switching to a bolt action for almost any purpose readily eliminates some of the quirks inherent in these system, but where's the fun in that!:D

My buddy has a Ruger #1 that he just rebarreled. It's a 300 RUM SAAMI chamber with a 36" benchmark 9 twist full 1.25" diameter all the way to muzzle. Yes it's a monster! He had some pressure issues with it initially because it appears at that barrel length the powders he was trying simply did not burn correctly (RL33). He ended up with around 94 grains of H50BMG pushing the 230 Berger at 3,180fps. It's scary accurate as he was able to shoot a .25MOA group at 1800 yards with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.