Long range #1 Ruger

MMMac

Hello, This is my first post, so bear with me. I have a hair brained idea for a long range rifle. Ruger 1, 28" hart barrel, 375 HH AI, muzzle break, 20 moa base, Millet scope. I own a #1 in 375HH so I have lots of brass, thats the reason for the caliber. Any thoughts? A friend is shopping for a 338 lapua and has rekindled my desire for such a weapon, but I'm incapable of doing anything the easy way. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Mac

Hello, This is my first post, so bear with me. I have a hair brained idea for a long range rifle. Ruger 1, 28" hart barrel, 375 HH AI, muzzle break, 20 moa base, Millet scope. I own a #1 in 375HH so I have lots of brass, thats the reason for the caliber. Any thoughts? A friend is shopping for a 338 lapua and has rekindled my desire for such a weapon, but I'm incapable of doing anything the easy way. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Mac

Welcome to the forum!
I built a long range rifle on a #1 and it turned out pretty well. Mine was a 300 RUM with a 30" Lilja and was around a .3 to .4" shooter. A 375 has been a little limited for good long range bullet selection in the past, but that may be changing? If you build it, I would suggest putting an aluminum pillar in the tang screw hole for proper bedding. This is the only recoil point there is and is quite important. I built a long screw driver that could be used with a ratchet and tightened it until it squeaked! I also put a little bedding compound where the stock and action fit together. Some shooters put a pressure screw on the forend, but I didn't find that to be necessary. The good thing about a #1 is that it will be 4" shorter than a bolt with the same barrel length. I currently have a build on a Browning 78 which is similar......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.