Ruger No.1

coop2564

So I have a beautiful No.1 30-06. It shot very good groups until I have a trigger job done. Trigger is crazy good now, but cant get gun to group well anymore went from .75" groups to 2.5", I still have shells that it was shooting great but now it wont group them and I've tried many other types and weights too. I wasn't able to shoot gun after trigger job for quite some time. Now the gunsmith that did it has moved off. My guess is when smith took the forearm off it caused some kind of problem with it grouping. I've read that No.1 can be very finicky on grouping due to the forearm. Any suggestions or things I can try? I've swapped scopes and checked all screws.

Fore end in a #1 is always a good start point. It might have been reassembled with a crush fit that changed thing around.

Start with it free floated. If that works you're done.

Many #1's like a bit of pressure at the tip of the fore end. A Hick's Harmonizer is adjustable, but I'd start by laying strips of tape, about 1" in length, until I found a sweet spot, or if it was going to work at all.

Good info on the fore end but here is something else that made mine shoot lights out! The Ruger #1 of course recoils against the tang which can affect accuracy if not bedded! You can glass it in or even drill it out and epoxy in an aluminum pillar like I did on my B78. I then made an extension handle to reach down and tighten it good and snug. ,,works great!

I remembered you saying something along those lines, but not clearly.

I'd been having similar issues a couple of weeks ago, the fore end got me to repeatable, and useable, but unsure if I'm getting everything out of the rifle that's there.
Have you done anything with the fore screw itself?

I had looked through old post trying to refresh my memory.

I'd been having similar issues a couple of weeks ago, the fore end got me to

repeatable, and useable, but unsure if I'm getting everything out of the rifle that's there.
Have you done anything with the fore
screw itself?

I didn't but know of it.

I have not done the fore end but know of guys who have.
I'd been having similar issues a couple of weeks ago, the fore end got me to repeatable, and useable, but unsure if I'm getting everything out of the rifle that's there.
Have you done anything with the fore screw itself?

So it looks like this forearm is made to have pressure on tip. It makes contact with receiver and again at tip of barrel in between its not touching the barrel. Dont know if factory tunes them or not, probably not, but it was shooting good before he took it apart. So maybe I should loosen it up some (he had it very tight) and then start turning half turns tightening to see if I can find a sweet spot like before? I wonder if I bedded just the forearm tip about 1" if it would help stay consistent. Just thinking about it, the wood at tip would likely wear or crush down in time changing tuning without something being fairly firm or hard against barrel.

Depending on how things go together the fore end can also slide during recoil.
I think fore end pressure will help-cheap if it doesn't.

I stuffed a stainless shim between hanger and barrel to achieve a consistent free float on the wood forend. I no longer have trouble with the poi shifting up and down on me. Not sure that will help with grouping though

Last edited:
So I fixed the problem. I bedded forearm and receiver and the hanger tip. Sanded raised bump off of forearm and the barrel channel of forearm to fully float it. Tighten screw to 6 foot pounds. Worked up some handloads and it shot 55.5 grains of varget and 130gr TTSX into .5" 3 shot groups. Also had loaded some 168 VLD but best group was 1.125". And some 178 ELD-X both groups right at 1". Best thing was NO vert. stringing, all groups where nice clover and circular! The TTSX clocked at 3221fps avg.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.