Who would you buy a 6.5-280 Ackley reamer from and why?

Well, I guess I should go buy a lottery ticket because I (not knowing any better) got my 6.5x280AI reamer and gauges from PT&G and they are perfect.
I've had two barrels chambered with that reamer and both 'smiths were pleased with the results and both rifles are great shooters.

Both of these 'smiths have been around for years and have built quite a few high end competition rifles and both are serious competitors themselves. YMMV.

As to the dies, I just bought a set of .280Ackley Redding S bushing dies and several bushings to work with different neck thicknesses.
While waiting for my dies, I used a set of 6.5 Creedmoor dies to neck size .270 brass to fireform them.

Ed
I'm no high end smith, but I've purchased 8 different reamers from ptg and zero issues thus far. Lucky may be my sidekick?

The 7-8 that I have bought all needed to be re-worked. Either they wanted to 'grab' while cutting or they only cut on 1 flute, or not to spec. The 'grab' is created from improper tool geometry. The cutting on 1 flute is just sloppy tool making. Customer service from them is nothing but a runaround hassle. I'm a slow learner, I guess, giving then 7-8 chances. Just for reference , I have been machining since '74, I graduated from MCC (an accredited Gunsmithing school) in '93 and my first chambers were cut in early '92. As far as I am concerned, chambering reamers from that shop are hobbyist tools. I just don't have the time to 'deal' with tooling that won't or doesn't preform as it should. I currently own 78 chambering reamers in my tooling inventory , most by Manson, some by JGS and 2 of current manufacture by Clymer, and those 7-8 that have been re-worked, . I have zero problems or complaints with any of these. I can call Dave Manson or JGS any time if I have concerns and get advice or help if I need it. I returned 1 JGS for inspection because of a concern and had it back in just over a week. You, that like them, should keep right on buying. That'll help keep lead times down when I need a 'special' made! For std., SAAMI spec reamers, Manson or JGS has the tool 'on the shelf' many times, meaning I don't have to wait months, and alterations seem to be only about 10 days lead from Manson, currently.

As far ptg reamers go, they WERE consistent years back. As the firearm industry has exploded in the last 3-4 years, I believe that's when the consistency went down. This has happened to a lot of companies recently
I have only purchased 2 from them in the last 5 years and my complaint is the time of delivery. Took 3 months to get a reamer that is very common.

JGS for the basics. Custom/Wildcat reamers Manson. I was through with PTG a looooong time ago.

Latest Manson reamer.👍👍👍

6049C573-6A62-4DFC-81DD-E0F5E19F5E86.jpeg
01D29604-FE41-43E0-BD50-6C65415DCB3A.jpeg

When I first started buying tooling 25yrs ago, or so, I bought from Mansons' "Loon Lake Precision" company. I heard all the talk about the "other one" and that's what prompted me to try them. What a mistake! Ended up costing me more with having to have them sharpened (re-worked) so all cutting edges were equal and tool geometry was correct. I'd go on to say "the firearms industry has exploded in the last 10-15yrs", at least in my shop, anyway. Had kinda' of a dry spell the past couple of years with Covid and the election, but work has picked-up in the past few months.

Last edited:
I dropped a carbide reamer while getting it ready to insert into the reamer holder to start on a barrel. Needless to say, reamer broke at the neck..

Called Sarah, asked whether they can regrind a zero freebore I have not used in years. I sent it in, got it back a week after she received it. She understood that I was in a bind, she took care of it. This was 5 months ago.

Manson is building me a custom reamer. PTG wanted to steer me toward a reamer they had made before but wasn't to the specs I wanted. I told them I wanted a reamer to my specs and they just quit responding.
manson was more than willing to do whatever I wanted and was eager to answer all my questions and in a timely manner.

The call only works with the live pilot reamers.
The "turkey call" is for 'specials'. Have Mansons; shop make you a 'special' reamer, and it'll arrive in a "turkey call" (which is really a wood box with a sliding lid, not a "turkey call").Live pilot and solid pilot standard reamers still arrive in a tube. Live pilot is the only way to go, And, when I order a 'special reamer', I specify "no wood box. send and 'extra' plastic tube instead, please". The wood box takes up too much room in the storage drawer. Manson and JGS are prompt in their deliveries. They'll do their best to meet the delivery time that was quoted. And, they are ready to make what you want, with advice from people who actually know something about reamers and cutting tools instead of a sales person.