With 1000 dollars what rifle would you buy and WHY?

I just ordered a Tikka T3x lite in 270 Win. Ordering a Tract Toric to go on it. It's a bit north of the price point though. I'm Lefty, and many of the Tikka models are only available RH. I really wanted a Sako S20. I feel so cheated.

Oooops. Your post says "and why."
Why. Very smooth action.
Tika s has a pretty good stock trigger-you just buy a spring kit.
Tika has a reputation for great out of the box accuracy. If you are ambitious, you can pull the stock barrel before shooting. Sell the brand new barrel on gun broker, and use the money to help buy a custom barrel. If you can catch the Tika on sale or. At least at good price; you should be close to your $1,000 mark for a semi custom with a top quality (much better than factory) barrel. A silky smooth action. And decent trigger. Pretty good for being around the $1,000 mark.

That's how much I have, and I want your opinion.
Tikka T3. Get it in a bolt face that you would potentially build off in the future, for S/A and some L/A options (won't work for RUM length-Ideal for the WSM/SAUM/PRC-Med length and 7PRC length cartridges). They are behind the times in twist rate for some calibers. There are pre-fit barrels out there and the aftermarket support is good and getting better.

My 2 cents.

PH

Last edited:
1000 usd in 2011 from the opening post... assuming inflation rate under 6% average would be a bit over 1300 dollars in 2024.... assuming .gov numbers. Rear world is probably north of that since nobody wants to fess up for the real numbers. How does that change the suggestions?

Tikka for sure. Just bought one. I've known how great they are but never pulled the trigger on one. Just did and I feel dumb for waiting so long.

Recent Posts