Who would you buy a 6.5-280 Ackley reamer from and why?

Darryle

I inquired about finding a 6.5-280 Ackley reamer and the possibility of buying versus renting and Hugh Henriksen's name came up more than once. I also was told that he was instrumental in the conception of the round back in the mid 90s. I received contact information and I cannot get an answer and the emails bounced back from a dormant/closed account.

Does anyone have a working relationship with him that could help me out?

If not, where do I turn to get a reamer for my personal use, not that I am chambering anything, but I want 3 rifles rebarreled around this caliber, 2 Remington 700s and a brand new LR Mauser action that was never built into a rifle at the factory.

I prefer not to rent for the simple fact that I want one reamer to chamber all 3 rifles and it's going to be a long drawn out process, I cannot afford to pay for 3 rifles to be built simultaneously.

I would really appreciate the information on Hugh or any insight or suggestions on where to turn next!

FTR: I am not interested in the 6.5 Sherman or any other 6.5mm chambering. Nothing against Rich, he has done a fantastic job with the entire line of Sherman cartridges and I am considering building a 6.5 Sherman in the future, but right now, this dang 6.5-280 Ackley has my loins tingly.

Thanks Darryle!

Last I heard, HH was more than a year behind and on the verge of retirement. Dave Manson should be your "go to" guy. Easy to work with and makes quality tools. Most of my chambering reamers were made in Mansons' shop. I have a few JGS and at least 2 recently made Clymer reamers that I have absolutely no complaints about. There's another popular maker on the "left coast". I have a few made by them, and I have had to have every one re-worked so the cut properly. I have turned down work where the client wanted to supply the reamer not made by Manson, JGS or Clymer because of issues I have had with another, popular brand. Manson, JGS would be my first choice followed by Clymer. With the current, "It's so easy a caveman can do it" aptitude toward chambering and gunsmithing in general, I won't rent as I don't know how the reamer has been used and treated before it was shipped to me. My only experience with a rented reamer 'soured' me. It came with a pilot that was egg shaped and wouldn't turn feely and it didn't cut like a sharp tool should.

Last edited:
I too get all my custom reamers through Manson. SAAMI reamers I use JGS or Clymer. I have only ever had issues with one brand, which will remain nameless here, as I do use other products they make without issue.
I also use Manson throating reamers, do not own any other brands.

Cheers.

A question to the gunsmiths….if he is ordering a chamber reamer, should he order a sizing reamer too or how does he get an fl die that is close enough?

JGS 1st
Manson 2nd
Clymer 3rd
PTG never
This is all based upon the consistency and accuracy of the reamer to the print you and the company put together. Most rifles I've had chambered with ptg, are not true to reamer print. Tight necks, tight freebore, unacceptable stuff like that. Talk to the high end smith's on this site, they'll recommend a jgs reamer one the rest.

Use a bushing die. The seating die can be made using the chambering reamer.
So, you would just use the 280 AI bushing die set for fl sizing? Makes sense. When I was looking into this, I found WTO had dies setup like this for 6.5x280ai for a good price. The seating die worked too….maybe a 6.5 seater plug?? I forget now.

Unless you really want to do it yourself, a call to Clayton at WTO would be worth your time.

The easiest way is get a FL 280AI bushing die switch out the decapping rod for a 6.5 and correct bushing. If you prefer a mandrel for neck tension just use correct bushing for a 6.5.
If you can't find a FL bushing die you can send a regular FL die to JLC precision and he will convert for you.
I do the same thing as above for my 6.5x300wsm, 20 Prac ect.

A Redding comp seater die can be had in just about any configuration you can think of, just ask them if they have the 6.5-280AI Custom Comp Seater.

Cheers.

I inquired about finding a 6.5-280 Ackley reamer and the possibility of buying versus renting and Hugh Henriksen's name came up more than once. I also was told that he was instrumental in the conception of the round back in the mid 90s. I received contact information and I cannot get an answer and the emails bounced back from a dormant/closed account.

Does anyone have a working relationship with him that could help me out?

If not, where do I turn to get a reamer for my personal use, not that I am chambering anything, but I want 3 rifles rebarreled around this caliber, 2 Remington 700s and a brand new LR Mauser action that was never built into a rifle at the factory.

I prefer not to rent for the simple fact that I want one reamer to chamber all 3 rifles and it's going to be a long drawn out process, I cannot afford to pay for 3 rifles to be built simultaneously.

I would really appreciate the information on Hugh or any insight or suggestions on where to turn next!

FTR: I am not interested in the 6.5 Sherman or any other 6.5mm chambering. Nothing against Rich, he has done a fantastic job with the entire line of Sherman cartridges and I am considering building a 6.5 Sherman in the future, but right now, this dang 6.5-280 Ackley has my loins tingly.

Thanks Darryle!
Well, I guess I should go buy a lottery ticket because I (not knowing any better) got my 6.5x280AI reamer and gauges from PT&G and they are perfect.
I've had two barrels chambered with that reamer and both 'smiths were pleased with the results and both rifles are great shooters.

Both of these 'smiths have been around for years and have built quite a few high end competition rifles and both are serious competitors themselves. YMMV.

As to the dies, I just bought a set of .280Ackley Redding S bushing dies and several bushings to work with different neck thicknesses.
While waiting for my dies, I used a set of 6.5 Creedmoor dies to neck size .270 brass to fireform them.

Ed