With 1000 dollars what rifle would you buy and WHY?

Savage is a great Moderate priced rifle. So many variations on that 110. Light to medium weight with 20 , 22 and 24 inch barrels. Huge Savage factory display Booth at the Outdoor show in Harrisburg , Penn this week. I was there on Tuesday. If it is convenient, you might want to go see ALL the new Savage and Sig rifles in one location. Colt and Smith and Wesson were also there. Euro Optics also had a huge booth, all optics for every major brand. Hawke also had a huge booth. Therre were at least 4 other brands of scopes that I had never heard of, including the Dual Focal Plane scope built to your specific Caliber and Bullet Weight . and Velocity . Which was interesting to me.

Here my Savage model 10 in 6.8 Western.
  • MDT Chassis (soon to go away and replaced by Pure Precision stock)
  • Atlasworxs Bottom Metal / DBM (after new stock arrives)
  • 22" Carbon Six barrel
  • Shaw Ti brake
  • Leupold VX5 HD scope
  • Timney trigger
It shoots well, though I've put less than 15 rounds down the tube. I have some regrets and wish I'd have chosen a different action due to the lack of upgrades available.
Are you going to be selling the chassis ?

Man... you all are making me wish I liked Savages. So much you can do with them! I just can't not see them! THAT BOLT IS SO UGLY!
I can relate with that opinion 😂. That is until I found a $270 .308 at a LGS and I was in a pinch for a hunting rifle. I bought it and found it was a .5 MOA shooter, with the factory accutrigger (which I hate) After 4 seasons as a .308 it is now a 6.8 Western.

Tikka T3 30-06... Stainless if I could find one for the price limit. It's interesting to think about what you could get for $1K now as opposed to just 13 years ago. For example: I'm pretty sure you could have gotten a nice all weather Ruger M77 for under $1K. The closest thing Ruger offers now has an MSRP of at least $1400.

I can relate with that opinion 😂. That is until I found a $270 .308 at a LGS and I was in a pinch for a hunting rifle. I bought it and found it was a .5 MOA shooter, with the factory accutrigger (which I hate) After 4 seasons as a .308 it is now a 6.8 Western.

I completely understand! I have a friend with a wood stock Axis (I believe) in 7mm-08. It's not a "nice" rifle at all. But it's so accurate, it's all he reaches for anymore, even if it's just to shoot groundhogs on the farm. He keeps wanting to upgrade the scope because it's not keeping up with rifle.

I don't lack respect for Savage, I just don't want to look at one. 😂

But as with most rifles, I'm not ruling it out...

Here my Savage model 10 in 6.8 Western.
  • MDT Chassis (soon to go away and replaced by Pure Precision stock)
  • Atlasworxs Bottom Metal / DBM (after new stock arrives)
  • 22" Carbon Six barrel
  • Shaw Ti brake
  • Leupold VX5 HD scope
  • Timney trigger
It shoots well, though I've put less than 15 rounds down the tube. I have some regrets and wish I'd have chosen a different action due to the lack of upgrades available.
What bolt handle is that?

It is nice to know that there is such flexibility with these relatively inexpensive actions. Out of curiosity, what is the max COAL that you can use with this action?
Thanks

FWIW, the definition of "short action" has been pretty fluid since the introduction of the 6.8 Western. Prior to it, "short action" meant 308-length, which is 2.81". The longest cartridges considered short action had been the WSM series at 2.86". The 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC oddly enough, have the exact same COAL of 2.955". Hornady reps admitted that the 6.5 PRC not really a short action cartridge on one of their podcasts. I recall that The Real Gunsmith went on a rant about this since he has had customers who were upset that their Remington short actions could not be chambered for these new cartridges.