With 1000 dollars what rifle would you buy and WHY?

Im a savage guy , I've re barreled several and they just work, my prs rig is a savage model 10 and it keeps up with the big boys
Here my Savage model 10 in 6.8 Western.
  • MDT Chassis (soon to go away and replaced by Pure Precision stock)
  • Atlasworxs Bottom Metal / DBM (after new stock arrives)
  • 22" Carbon Six barrel
  • Shaw Ti brake
  • Leupold VX5 HD scope
  • Timney trigger
It shoots well, though I've put less than 15 rounds down the tube. I have some regrets and wish I'd have chosen a different action due to the lack of upgrades available.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 61
6.8w-user that's a sexy rig !! I have one in a Winchester Xkr and love it but it is a tad heavy, I also have a Savage action that's naked -hmmm you got me thinking , I might need another 6.8 western after all calibers do better in pairs!! Lmao!!

Savage for me , I do most of my own work except wood stocks I don't have the patience ( I'm a carpenter to) but love the brand . Another LRH member got me thinking about building a savage model 10 action in 6.8 western

OK, since it has been revived, I will play. I, too, like to tinker around (when I find the time) and am fond of DIY projects with Savage actions.
.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

.270 AI 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" #6 contour.
1707221099131.jpeg

.264 WM 26" X-Caliber 1:7" #6 contour.
1707221266313.jpeg

1707221300752.jpeg

.257 WBY 22" McGowen 1:7" #6 contour.

I have 1 Savage LA, 2 Savage SA, and 1 R700 LA to re-barrel when they are due.

Over the years I recall that the max COALs of different Savage actions has varied. Some blind magazine models could handle something like 3", but it varied on the stagger feed vs center feed. What is the current situation for 308 and 30-06-sized actions? What max OAL's can they take and does it depend on the magazine option?
Is the short action still available or is Savage using only the longer action and bolt stops like Tikka? I am curious since some cartridges like the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC are about 3" long versus the standard 2.82" short action. There are both short and standard-length cartridges that benefit from being loaded long.
Thanks

Barton - that's a good question Savage changes stuff a lot prime example the Savage Stealth is a bit wonky about scope mounting screws. Even though they change stuff around they still work great for me my 6.5 Creed is built to the nuts 4500$ but is lights out and I'm pushing 2.90 coal I believe

Recent Posts