What 22 would you buy?

sns2

Looking to pick up an accurate 22 to shoot in-between letting my centre fires cool down. I have sort of focused my thoughts on some type of CZ or possibly even an Anschutz. The Anschutz would be at the top of what I am able to spend, and is twice the cost of a CZ. I know you get what you pay for, but there is also a point of diminishing returns.

Please chime in with your first hand experiences of either of the above choices or something different.

Have a good day boys. Fall's a comin!

I've got a Ruger 10/22 I built a custom out of when I was 16, and it will drive tacks with cheap Federal ammo. It's got all Valquartsen internals, a Butler Creek (yes, they used to make barrels) stainless fluted .920 bull barrel. And for many many years it had a Hogue overmold stock on it. But now it has a Tactical Solutions Vantage Thumbhole stock on it.

Looking to pick up an accurate 22 to shoot in-between letting my centre fires cool down. I have sort of focused my thoughts on some type of CZ or possibly even an Anschutz. The Anschutz would be at the top of what I am able to spend, and is twice the cost of a CZ. I know you get what you pay for, but there is also a point of diminishing returns.

Please chime in with your first hand experiences of either of the above choices or something different.

My first choice would be an Anschutz. I have never seen a poor performing Anschutz and built several 17 HMRs on the Anschutz 22 mag action and they are tack drivers.

Weatherbys Mark 22s are also built on the Anschutz action and are beautiful and accurate.

There are other 22s that can/should be accurate but you never know until you buy one if it is
going to be accurate.

Some of the savages are very accurate if you are lucky and find a good one. Lilja makes drop in barrels for Anschutz and savages also.

J E CUSTOM

two that come to the top of my mind are the Remington 541, and the Cooper 22 target rifle. The Cooper is far better but nearly double the price. Most 22's come with a Benze chamber, and that's not a good thing for tight groups. The Remington has a very good chamber, but the Cooper is even better. The early Coopers also came with a Jewell trigger from the factory and a very nice stock. I've seen a Cooper shoot sub .200" groups with an added tuner with Federal Olympic Gold match ammo. (.170" @ 50 yards). That rifle was good enough to get into the top five at Bill Calfee's Saturday night shoot in Borden Indiana, and just getting into the top ten is saying something when you shoot against the best of the very best. Another good one to look for is an original Winchester 52D.

The Remington and the Anschutze have the same barrel issue. The barrels are not threaded into the receiver, but clamped. This creates an out of round chamber no matter how well it's reamed. The CZ is a great rifle, but I like the 541 better. I have two 541's, and they'll shoot 1.10" groups at 100 yards. My older 541 will shoot .800" groups at 100 yards, but not consistently. For just plinking, a basic Marlin or Savage will do just fine.
gary

Between myself and my son in law we own three purchased Savage 22's, 2- TR's and 1 BVSS. They have heavy barrels, accutriggers, and decent stocks and are a fraction of the price of many of the high end 22's but will shoot as well or better. All three will hold under 1" at 100 yards with Federal, Wolf, or Remington/Eley match ammo. Deadly accurate! I use my TR with it's full size tactical stock for "scaled ballistics" long range practice on rodents out to 100 yards. It's mounted with a Leupold 6x20 EFR with turrets. Shot a wood chuck last year at 190 yards.

Just depends on how much you want to spend. I have two CZ 17s and a Savage 17 that I gave to my son. Those shoot about the same. I have a heavy barrel CZ 22 mag and bought a heavy barrel laminated stock Savage 22 mag because it was pretty. Well the Savage shoots circles around the CZ. Before I got the Savage 22 mag I was going to get a CZ 22 lr bolt action. After I shot the Savage 22 mag I now have a heavy barrel laminated stock 22 lr Savage and it is very accurate. As accurate as an Anschutz, more than likely not, but for $650 difference, good enough.

I have a Marlin XT 22 with a Nikon scope on it that will shoot one jagged hole at 50 yards. gun)

Shot a buddy's CZ in .223 had a set trigger in was a very good shooting gun I have two rugar 77/22 that will shoot sub moa with cheap Winchester 555 ammo one is the heavy barrel target model. I just bought a Redfield battle zone Tac22 2-7 power scope with built in BDC turret for 36 grain 22 ammo and it is the bomb works great BDC is dead on with that Winchester ammo.

When I was a kid, I used my Dad's 10/22 a fair amount. Ran thousands of cheap rounds through it without a hiccup.

A couple of years ago I asked myself the "What 22 would you buy?" for my girls. After looking at a number of options, I went with a stainless Ruger 10/22 Takedown (the one that you can take the barrel off very quickly and comes with a nice custom pack).

I picked up a number of the BX-25 mags before the ban in Colorado went into effect even before I bought the rifle so they would be grandfathered.

Seemed like a really nice gun. The "take down" mechanism appeared solid and well done.

Finally got some .22 ammo for it by showing up at my local Wal-Mart at 5:30am a number of mornings and took the girls out to shoot.

**** thing jambed about every 3rd round. Stove pipes, misfeeds, you name it. Jambed more times in the first magazine than 20 or 30 years of shooting the older one. I actually can't remember the older one EVER jambing.

I took the entire thing apart, looked it over and compared it to the old one. Lots of casting flash in the receiver, metal shavings and rub marks where the bolt slides back and forth. Cleaned all that crap out and worked the bolt back and forth on the long pin it rides on until if felt a lot smoother.

Took it back out and now it only jambs 3 or 4 rounds per hundred. Unacceptable by any standard, but at least I my girls could get some practice.

Comparing it to the older model, the internals looked quite a bit different. The old one from the late 70's early 80's was carefully machined everywhere inside the receiver. The new one had machining only where things are supposed to contact and the rest of it looks like a rough casting. That which was machined, was not machined to proper tolerances.

I have several older Ruger firearms and they all have performed very well. This new one....not so much. This model was one of the most expensive 10/22s Ruger has ever offered. Pretty disappointing.

Looking around the net, you hear "yeah, you gotta run a couple thousand rounds through it before it starts jambing less to break it in".

Ridiculous.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.