With 1000 dollars what rifle would you buy and WHY?

Hopping on the zombie-thread bandwagon with the only correct answer.

Browning X-bolt Stalker LR $975:
Buttery Smooth action
Adjustable comb height
Threaded barrel
3-port Brake
Fast twist barrel in popular LR cartridges
Flush fit magazine

Pack it up, boys. 13 years later we solved the riddle.

my s
WOWZER! My 6.5 CM cost me $20 - https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/i-got-my-first-6-5-cm-for-20.201958/page-3 and shoots factory ammo (125 Winchester Deer Season XP) well.
View attachment 541715
(3-shot group at 200Y).Savage model 10 x caliber 26 in barrel dat bastered break/ suppressor, Athlon Cronus, McCrees precision chassis stock , Nightforce 20 mos rail send it level trigger basic save 2 trigger-7 oz pull weight, atlas bipod 23 lbs I'm sure I'm forgetting something

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpeg
    IMG_1002.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 46

Buttery Smooth action
Adjustable comb height
Threaded barrel
3-port Brake
Flush fit magazine

The right answer doesn't come complete with the correct chambering?! That's what I really want to know! 😂

$1,000?
Older remington…. remington Sportsman 78 or 788
U can find for around $300-$600.
Get a used scope here and "go to town with it"!

I have had these two models.. sold the 788 and 78 was stolen and wish i had them back. Tremendous accuracy!
LH 788 6mm (788)
And a Model 78 243!
Tack drivers and u may have enough left over for a trigger and new stock

A Sako M995 30-378 Weatherby. Would prolly have to put a few more hundred with it but....
Why you ask? Just because I want a rifle in that caliber and I already have that rifle in .300 Win Mag and it is a hammer.

Howa or Vanguard.....no question! Whatever you pay for the one you like....you'll never loose money on it..... Savage's are accurate....but CHEAP...a dime a dozen if you ever want to resell!

Last edited:

Buttery Smooth action
Adjustable comb height
Threaded barrel
3-port Brake
Flush fit magazine

Well I have a couple; A 300 win mag CA mesa was purchased for $750 after sale price and rebate in 2021 at Murdock's. This past September Ruger American Go live Camo in 7mm PRC for $550.00 at Sheels. The Mesa is a shooter out of the box, and have upgraded it with the CA precision stock. The Ruger, at this point have replaced the trigger and added a cheek adjustment, haven't reloaded yet for it. The federal ammo with 175 g bullets have grouped well 0.5-0.6, Hornady ammo for whatever reason will not group below 1.5 MOA.

Used Remington 700 std. bolt face long action. I see these for sale at local gun and pawn shops, some with Leupold scopes . 70's- 80's models. Scopes are guaranteed for life and you can add the extras ( trigger ,stock, open the bolt face to a magnum., etc.) You have a great action to build a custom rifle as time and funds become available. My 338 RUM and my 300 win. started life that way. Good Luck.