What would you Buy and Why?

dakor

I know some are going to say not another question like this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifbut here it is. Ok I have it down to 3 different barrel makers but I can't decide so I am looking for some help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Before I ask I will say the Gun Smith that I choose will know what he is doing that is for sure. If you were going to build a 7mm STW for Extreme Accuracy and Velocity Which of the 3 barrels would you chose and why? Krieger, Lilja, or Shilen? I do not know if this will make a difference but I want a 28inch finish with a 8 twist and a #5 contour. I know all three of them are good but there can be only one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any one or all of the ones you've named produce as good a barrel as you would want. I would rethink the 7STW. I don't know where in the country you are at? I would pick whoever is closest to home to keep the shipping down. You can't go wrong with any that you've name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a krieger and Lilja. I love them both. I don't no anything about Shilen so I can't comment.

I will say that I like my lilja best. But that is probably because its on my favorite full custom rifle.

Dakor, a 7 STW with #5 Lilja fluted 8 twist(they look so awesome fluted whether you need it or not!) shooting the 176 Cauterucio would be a tremendous rifle.

3sixbits why would I want to re think the 7mm STW? With 180 ULD bullets it will do what the big 30's and 338's will do at 1000 yards with out all the recoil. John so you have both a Krieger and Lilja in a 7mm STW **** I am Jealous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Which one do you think has a smoother tighter bore?

I would go with a 28" 5C broughton . oops that wasn't on your list. the reason I would go with broughton is

#1 Dave is a pleasure doing business with and makes probably one of the best barrels available.

#2extremely fast turn around time.(about 1 month as to Kriegers 3 months)

#3 a great reputation for accuracy. I have just started using his barrels and all I have to say is WOW!

of the barrels on your list I would probably recommend the Krieger as Krieger has never let me down in the past.
but really you wouldn't go wrong with all of the above.
FWIW,
308nate

Out of the three you list I would go Krieger as I like cut rifling. For the pros and cons about cut vs button have a look at Border barrels web site. I think it was also on 6mmBR.com as well.

That said I don`t have any of the three barrels you list.

David.

As a professional rifle builder I have built on all the above barrels and would put them in the order as follows:

1. Broughton- for the reasons mentioned above and because they are very accurate and CONSISTENT!!!
2. Kreiger- very accurate but they seem to wear out a bit quicker. Have built 3 7mm Dakotas on them for our own Len Backus.
3. Lilja- good reputation for making good barrels
4. Shilen- Don't like 'em, never have, never will. At best a mediocre barrel in my opinion. Not bad, just not the best.

As a footnote- Tim North runs Broughton. Dave Kiff runs Pacific Tool, which is who I am guessing 308 nate got mixed up.

Dakor, My 7 STW is a krieger 26" #5 9 twist. I used 140 barnes xlc's (blue meenies) when I first got it....they sucked. Switched to 156 Cauterucio's 1/2".

The Lilja is on my 338 Lapua. That is a 28" #7 fluted. I like the Lilja better probably because its on my favorite rifle (full custom).
In all fairness, the Krieger is an awesome barrel.

I bought a used 7 STW lilja 26" that was taken off a remington action. I'm going to build something with it one of these days.

Chris,
Thanks for the name corection. Yes, I meant Tim North.

I just ordered a couple reamers from Dave Kiff a few weeks back and I guess I had his name in my head.

dakor- I would put hart tied for 3rd with lilja.
Here's how I would rank all of them FWIW:

1. Broughton, Rock, Schneider and Obermeyer
2. Krieger
3. Hart, Lilja
4. PacNor
5. KP, Douglas, Badger
6. Shilen
7. Lothar Walther

Borders are good too, just haven't used many of them.

Thanks Chris, Now I really can't Decide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Does Schneider have a web page? I can not find anything on google. I tried to get to Broughton's website but it seems to be down.

No Gary Schneider doesn't have a web page- doesn't need one. David Tubb using his barrels is all the advertising he needs.
Don't know what is up with Broughton's page but it should be up soon. I will call Tim tomorrow anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.