Which 300 win mag would you buy?

Is the Kimber 8400 worth mentioning? Don't hear much about them.

I think Kimber makes a fantastic rifle, especially the Montana series. I would give a good hard look at a Kimber Montana 8400.

Topped with a 4.5-14 x 50mm LR, a duplex reticle and CDS dials. With Talley one-piece Aluminum rings you would have one heck of an awesome rifle.

If you wanted a muzzle brake you could always have one installed by a good gunsmith later.

There is perfectly nothing wrong with a Tikka, or TC Icon topped with a Vortex PST.

There are so many options out there today!

JPB

And I think its stiffer and probably more accurate than their fluted version. Their web site claims: The fluted barrel allows us to give you a stiffer barrel profile that does not carry excessive weight. If both their fluted and standard barrels have the same profile, that's not true; it's physically impossible. I'm going to call them today and ask about their barrel profiles.
Called Winchester Customer Service and talked to a rep. The rep said their fluted barrels have the same outside profile and length as standard ones. The rep also agreed with me that fluting a barrel makes it less stiff. One surprised rep learning their web site said that and will tell the Customer Service boss about that misinformation on their web site.

'Twas interesting to see the picture of a Model 70 with a dollar bill placed between the fluted barrel and the forend. I just might go find one in a store, take a dollar bill and see what happens when I put mild upward pressure on the forend tip with that bill between the tip and the barrel.

I would suggest going to Guns International. Go to the advanced search. Put in Cabelas and .300 win Mag with a max price of $2000. You can see what pulls up for that. By the way there is a almost new Cooper Model 8400 for $1060 in the listing.
The other gun I thought someone would suggest is the Savage 111 Long range hunter. Best of luck. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.