who builds the most accurate ultralight hunting rifle?

I agree to some extent, my 4lb 12oz Kimber Mountain Ascent 6.5CM is not as easy to shoot at longer ranges than some, but it adds back in a lot of weight with necessities (IMO) like a bigger scope, bipod, ammo harness/cheek riser on the stock, etc which make it more effective. Then the overall package is still packable and shootable.

Correct that's why I went the extra length to make mine as light as possible. So I could add the thumbhole which I really like for hunting in the mountains. Them I was able to move to a slightly heavier scope for more zoom 17.6 once. Once I add my bipod and camera to it it's still very packable and shoots well. Keep in mind though some of that is adding weight to the rifle. Such as check riser. Mine has a very good one on the manners. If I took a lighter one then added it I'm back to the same weight. Just a thought.
I like how you are thinking though. If you want the lightest go pierce ti with the bolt, then do a pencil thin barrel and have twisted lighten it up even more and run a standard carbon or add the weight back with the thumbhole.

I built a 7# 28 Nosler last year and it wasn't difficult to handle at all. I used a Lone Peak Fuzion Ti, Proof Sendero Contour (26") and McMillan Game Hunter (edge) and it was 7# 1 oz all in. It would shoot lights out. It is a really big gun though so be ready.

I also built 5# 5 oz 6.5 PRC and sold the 28 Nosler to another member almost immediately. It's just better all around for mountain hunting.

7 pounds is very easy to handle. Anything under about 6 lbs loaded is were it starts to get harder to shoot. Mine is just over 6lbs and that's about as light as I'd go.

Not sure of the exact weight but my Remington Model 7 in 300SAUM is so nice to carry. Can carry it long distances with no problems. Usually, it shoots 1/2 to 5/8 MOA.

Anyone have any experience with or could compare the Pierce Titanium actions with the Mack Bros Evo Titanium actions?

What about the carbon fiber stocks from the guys at all-composite.com? Apparently they have stocks as light as 14 ounces with the bottom metal, and they are designed to be a true drop in... not require bedding or pillars (so long as the action is a Rem 700 design)... and are claiming 1/4 minute accuracy with their stocks. Too good to be true?

I just went through this same scenario. I was really into ultralights but also wanted an accurate longrange rifle. I had Tikka T3 ultralight in 270, Sako Finnlights in 260rem, 270wsm and 300wsm, Kimber Montana in 280ai, Forbes model 24b in 25-06, and a couple of Melvin Forbes Nula's, a model 24 in 280ai and a model 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

All of them were nice, my Kimber Montana and Nula 280ai were probably my favorites out of the bunch, but none were what I would consider sub 1/2 moa rifles. I could pull off some sub 1/2 moa groups but most were just sub moa.

I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a true sub 1/2 moa rifle that there would have to be a trade off somewhere, that would be switching from an ultralight weight rifle to a lightweight rifle. I ended up buying a Gunwerks ClymR in 7rem mag. Oringinally I wanted one with a floor plate but they had one on the shelf with a detachable mag that looked too nice to pass up. It weighs about 6lb 6-8oz bare rifle, about the same weight as my Nula 280ai with a Swaro Z3 mounted on top. If I opted for the hinged floor plate I would have probably shaved 4-6oz off the weight. Because I wanted a long range rifle my choice of optics went from lightweight to borderline heavyweight, coming in at 30oz. Again I could have stayed with a Swaro Z3 and saved myself nearly 20oz, and could have stuck with Talley lightweight rings instead of the heavy duty rings that Gunwerks has with a built in level, probably saved another 2-3oz there but like I said, I wanted a dedicated long range rig so I even added a Tubb level mounted on my scope tube. All in my rifle weighs 8lb 12oz (empty mag and no sling), where my Nula weighed 6lb 6oz, blind mag and lightweight scope. I could shave about 26oz if I changed it up a bit, get me in the 7lb 4oz range, but that's not where my priorities are today. And with a Gunwerks rifle you get the load data for a guaranteed sub 1/2 moa rifle.

Sorry for the long winded response but I hope it brings in some insight.

You've owned a lot of light rifles! In your opinion, in hunting scenarios, what is your self imposed distance limitation when shooting your ultra light rifles? Is it significantly shorter than your new Gunwerks rifle that is 8lbs 12ozs? Thanks.

I have a Sako carbonlight that is sub 1/2 moa, but its a .243. Weighs 5 lb 2 oz out of the box, with a swaro z3 it is about 6lb. With a Harvester can its 6 lb 11oz and it recoils like a 22LR. They are also chambered in 6.5 CM, 300 WM, 7RM. Personally I wouldn't look to shoot an ultralight magnum caliber if I was looking for excellent accuracy. How does your Kimber 6.5 CM shoot?

I have a Forbes 20 B that I sent to Melvin and had re barreled and chambered in 284 Win and it is very accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.