Ultralight hunting rifle, help needed

If you carry all that with you while your hunting? You definitely hunt different than me. I will pack into a camp ditch my sleeping cooking and unneeded gear and go hunting. Pack is under 14lbs foresure. Under 10 probably. I will travel or cover distance with my gun on the pack but i hunt with it in my hand or on a sling. Just dont think its feasible hunting hills or wooded cover with my gun on my pack. I walk up on a 350in bull I'd like to have my gun in my hand and take a shot at him. Hate to scramble around getting my gun off my pack while he's showing me his *** cheeks. I guess im looking at it wrong. Your experience has thought you craftier ways to hunt than I have yet learned. I carry my gun 90% of the time or more. I bench over 275 and curl over 150. Not too small of an upper body. 8 10 or 12 hour days my 10+ pound rifle gets heavy. After weeks it wears on a guy. For your situation go ahead carry a howitzer on your back that's fine. I will be more comfortable carrying a sub 7lb rifle in my hand.

If you carry all that with you while your hunting? You definitely hunt different than me. I will pack into a camp ditch my sleeping cooking and unneeded gear and go hunting. Pack is under 14lbs foresure. Under 10 probably. I will travel or cover distance with my gun on the pack but i hunt with it in my hand or on a sling. Just dont think its feasible hunting hills or wooded cover with my gun on my pack. I walk up on a 350in bull I'd like to have my gun in my hand and take a shot at him. Hate to scramble around getting my gun off my pack while he's showing me his *** cheeks. I guess im looking at it wrong. Your experience has thought you craftier ways to hunt than I have yet learned. I carry my gun 90% of the time or more. I bench over 275 and curl over 150. Not too small of an upper body. 8 10 or 12 hour days my 10+ pound rifle gets heavy. After weeks it wears on a guy. For your situation go ahead carry a howitzer on your back that's fine. I will be more comfortable carrying a sub 7lb rifle in my hand.

I don't know who your directing this at but I agree that there are different ways to hunt. Sounds like you are doing more close up timber hunting than long range hunting or shall I say, hunting in more wide open spaces. There are also ways of attaching your rifle to your pack for quick access so it's the best of both worlds such as a kifaru gun bearer and he stone glacier quick gun tote. There are a ton of ways to configure your setup so do what's best for you.

If your hunting in the timber just get a tikka super light in 308 with a 2-7 or 3-10 scope and call it done.

"Lastly most people have all the extra weight they want to shave off their equipment sitting on their gut!"

But some of us need it for counter balance going up hill....or down hill with a pack of meat.........lol.....

Another vote for the Tikka T3x superlite. I picked one up last year in .300 win mag, threw Talley's and a Swaro z5 3.5-18 with sling its sitting right on 7.5# and balances nice. Just started load development and its shooting 5/8" at 100 yards with Nosler Partitions. I haven't had a chance to stretch it out yet but will in due time.

For the money invested a Tikka is very tough to beat. No screwing around with replacing triggers, bedding, etc...just load and shoot.

My wife shoots a ULA 7 SAUM. Berger 168 classic hunter @2800 FPS. I had the 180 vld doing 2800 at her rifle but ran into some stability issues in extreme temps(9.25 twist). Recoil was an issue as well. You might be able to push a 162 3000 but if not it should be close. I stopped with the 168 where it's at because it shoots .5 MOA and the recoil is manageable for her for a hunting rifle.

I have a Forbes rifle that went back to Melvin and was re-barreled and chambered into a 280 AI and it had one of his stocks put on. I don't know if I have a tight barrel or what but I struggle to get the speeds I want out of it. I can't get much over 2800 with the 168 classic hunter without pressure. It doesn't seem to like to shoot anything super hot. Mild loads it will do .5 MOA no problem. I settled on the 150 Etip doing 2925. It has had no problem killing anything 300 yds and in.

Both rifles are compact with 24" tubes and awesome to carry. I don't have the confidence in my ability to shoot my 280 out much past 500 yds. If I am hunting anything bigger than deer or think my shots will be over 400 yds I take my 28 nosler (700 w/Eh1)which is a heavier gun but still not "overweight" to carry. I probably need to spend more time with my Forbes to get more comfortable with it at distance. It is just easier to shoot a heavier/bigger rifle for me.

That being said have you had a chance to shoot any ultralights at distance in a field position?

What model of the Forbes rifle does she have in the saum?
I shot light rifles in smaller calibers a fair amount. A little past 500yds but most in the 2-400 range. I shot my buck last fall laying prone resting partially on a log at 890yds. It was my 10lb 300WM though. I plan on a learning curve foresure. I don't usually plan on the long shots. Just would like the performance if it presented itself. Getting something light is my main concern. If it's light and has the performance I want I will be happy. It's going to be strictly a hunting rifle. If the barrel is done in 800-1000 rounds I am fine with that. Spending 3-400 rounds to get it or me dialed in is fine too. It will still last a while at 5-10 rounds a year after that.
My wife shoots a ULA 7 SAUM. Berger 168 classic hunter @2800 FPS. I had the 180 vld doing 2800 at her rifle but ran into some stability issues in extreme temps(9.25 twist). Recoil was an issue as well. You might be able to push a 162 3000 but if not it should be close. I stopped with the 168 where it's at because it shoots .5 MOA and the recoil is manageable for her for a hunting rifle.

I have a Forbes rifle that went back to Melvin and was re-barreled and chambered into a 280 AI and it had one of his stocks put on. I don't know if I have a tight barrel or what but I struggle to get the speeds I want out of it. I can't get much over 2800 with the 168 classic hunter without pressure. It doesn't seem to like to shoot anything super hot. Mild loads it will do .5 MOA no problem. I settled on the 150 Etip doing 2925. It has had no problem killing anything 300 yds and in.

Both rifles are compact with 24" tubes and awesome to carry. I don't have the confidence in my ability to shoot my 280 out much past 500 yds. If I am hunting anything bigger than deer or think my shots will be over 400 yds I take my 28 nosler (700 w/Eh1)which is a heavier gun but still not "overweight" to carry. I probably need to spend more time with my Forbes to get more comfortable with it at distance. It is just easier to shoot a heavier/bigger rifle for me.

That being said have you had a chance to shoot any ultralights at distance in a field position?

I don't think you would be disappointed in a NULA at all and I am happier with the performance out of the 7 SAUM than the 280 AI in the rifles we have, not to start a debate because they will both perform. If I had to re-barrel or build another it would be a 7 saum. Give Melvin Forbes a call his number is on there website and talk to him about what you are looking for. There are lots of quality builders that could do what you want but the NULA is in your price range and it sounds like it's exactly what you want.

Another vote for the Tikka T3x superlite. I picked one up last year in .300 win mag, threw Talley's and a Swaro z5 3.5-18 with sling its sitting right on 7.5# and balances nice. Just started load development and its shooting 5/8" at 100 yards with Nosler Partitions. I haven't had a chance to stretch it out yet but will in due time.

For the money invested a Tikka is very tough to beat. No screwing around with replacing triggers, bedding, etc...just load and shoot.

Maybe try some 190 bergers and I bet those groups will tighten right up.

About a year ago, I read an article in American Hunter about a new 6lb 3 oz rifle produced by Browning. Don't remember all the details, but you can find it. Gun sold for around 2K

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.