Light Weight Rifle Build

I understand I'd be losing a lot of performance, and that a short gun would be hard to handle. Your prolly right tho, if I can't shoot it good, it's useless. I was just thinking that would be an excellent way to shed some weight. And on the flip side, I'd be packing it 99% of the time and shooting it 1%. Too much to contemplate

Does anyone else have experience with a short barrel and taking shots at 500 yards?

Short barrels are fine for accuracy, but generally give up velocity and downrange energy. To kill cleanly, that's something we'd rather not give up. On the 99%packing 1% shooting situation, I can heartily recommend Eberlestock packs with the built in rifle scabbard. I don't mind my "heavy" rifles at all when they are in the pack, and they come out real quick when needed.

With a short 16.5 barrel your muzzle blast will be even more, even with a 7mm-08. Just so ya know. Look at a 30carbine outa m1 18 inch barrel, compared to a ruger pistol insane blast and noise.

It doesn't sound like going with a 16.5 inch barrel is the greatest idea. Ya it will save about 6 oz but from the sounds of it, it will be extremely hard to shoot due to balance and muzzle blast. I think it will still have enough energy to be a 500 yard gun tho

If you can hit it at 500 yards. Short barreled patrol rifles shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards, but there not made to shoot past 300 with the same accuracy. Do what you want, just don't say we didn't warn you. And the ones I'm talking about are heavy fluted 18-20 inch barrels. Don't think a light weight sporter barrel at 16.5 inchs is going to be as good as what I'm talking about. Youl pull the trigger and say wher did that deer go, cause the up blast will have you looking at the trees beyond the deer.

If you can hit it at 500 yards. Short barreled patrol rifles shoot quarter inch groups at 100 yards, but there not made to shoot past 300 with the same accuracy. Do what you want, just don't say we didn't warn you. And the ones I'm talking about are heavy fluted 18-20 inch barrels. Don't think a light weight sporter barrel at 16.5 inchs is going to be as good as what I'm talking about. Youl pull the trigger and say wher did that deer go, cause the up blast will have you looking at the trees beyond the deer.

Do you think I'd be facing the same issue with the 20 inch pencil barrel?

My kimber is thin but its 24 inches, and I'm shooting 600 yards with above average groups. Id say goabout 20.5 inches and flute the barrel, bolt, even the floorplate. That will save weight and look cool to. Also cool it much faster for a 2nd or 3rd shot. My rilfe is almost to light as it is with a vx 3 boone n crocket, reticle, and 4 drounds of 270wsm ammo. The guys at the range couldn't believe it was that light. They said it don't feel like 7pounds 13 ounces. It has a lot to do on how well its balanced. The kimber mountian accent I think weighs 5.5 #s with a 270 win and muzzle break. It also sports a 24 inch barrel, but costs 2k I believe. Take your time and think it through before you go ordering parts for the build. I've seen some nice 20.5 inch mausers with flutting everywhere, as a matter of fact I have a gew 98 chamberd in 6mm ackley improved with alll of the abovel. 24 inches long and feels unreal when holding it. Very light and deadley. I know what your thinking).....dam I really need to rethink my plan of attack. Good luck and do what you will like, its gana be yours not ours. Post some pics along the way.

Thanks for the kind words. I think im leaning toward the 20 inch barrel... I still think I can hit my weight goal with the 20 inch barrel, and from what ive heard, it will be more comfortable to shoot.

Does anyone have any experience with the pierce titanium action? Ive emailed them, and they offer a lightened bolt option, where they flute the body and handle but don't do anything with the firing pin. Ive been thinking about getting their bolt and just replacing the shroud with a lighter aluminum one. Would doing this effect the rifles accuracy? Also, can anyone comment on their actions and the quality of them?

Yup , been working 13 hours a day 7 days a week. My brain is not all there due to lack of sleep. Thanks for the correction.

Get a Melvin Forbes Ultra Lite Arms 5 3/4 custom build. I have one in a 25-284 4 loaded rounds, 4.5 x 14 30mm lupy, harris bipod, sling = 7 lb. It shoots 3/4 moa

My turn, ha ha. Go with the Proof carbon wrapped barrel (22"), Pierce titanium, brake, and a McMillan EDGE. You wouldn't be sacrificing accuracy or shootability much at all. It might be a few more ounces than you are looking for though.

My turn, ha ha. Go with the Proof carbon wrapped barrel (22"), Pierce titanium, brake, and a McMillan EDGE. You wouldn't be sacrificing accuracy or shootability much at all. It might be a few more ounces than you are looking for though.

You know its funny you mention the Proof barrel. They told me it weighs about 42 oz before the chamber and threads are cut. If I did decide to use their barrel, I would get a 24 incher with a brake and have the rifle chambered in either 7mm WSM or 300 WSM. This rifle would be a little bit heavier, maybe a pound, but the ballistics of the WSM is far superior to the 7mm-08, and the barrel wouldn't be a pencil...It would most likely balance better and be easier to shoot. Plus it would be more versatile in the bigger caliber... too much to think about lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.