Whidden Custom Dies

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Good evening
We have several custom Reamers that we designed and want to get Whidden Custom Dies made. I know they say to send (3) fire formed cases or the Reamer Print for Whidden to make the Dies. Anyone just sent the Reamer Print to Whidden and have good results with the custom dies or have any PROBLEMS.
It is kind of a time issue because Whidden takes at least 10 weeks to make the dies. Currently building a 338LMAI and don't want to wait another 10 weeks after the build is done.

Thanks
Len & Jill

I had them make a set of dies for my 300 Norma Imp using the reamer print. They said they would rather have the fired cases but would do it from the print also. They said that if I cut my chamber oversize from the print that it would be all on me though. In the end, my chamber was good, and so were their dies.

I had them make a set of dies for my 300 Norma Imp using the reamer print. They said they would rather have the fired cases but would do it from the print also. They said that if I cut my chamber oversize from the print that it would be all on me though. In the end, my chamber was good, and so were their dies.
Thanks much!

I was just reading through their site today and it said they prefer 3 fire formed pieces of brass but, if the dies are wrong it is still on you. I guess either way if the dies are wrong its custom and its on you. I know they do great work but it doesn't make you feel to confident when you spend $$$ and wait 10+ weeks. lol

I sent in print because I didn't want to wait for build to get done and wait again after I sent in 3 pieces. Everything from then turned out great. My dies were ready before the build was done. +++

Does any other Manufacture make .338 LMAI Dies????
The design on our 338LMAI is basically the longer throat for 300 Berger OTMs and neck size.
I was just reading through their site today and it said they prefer 3 fire formed pieces of brass but, if the dies are wrong it is still on you. I guess either way if the dies are wrong its custom and its on you. I know they do great work but it doesn't make you feel to confident when you spend $$$ and wait 10+ weeks. lol
Yep
I was just looking over my print and it is really different than a 338LM. I am just getting anxious and my fault due to holding up on finishing our new shop. As soon as I get the barrel chambered we can just shoot 338LM and get fire formed cases at the same time and send to Whidden. Maybe they will get them done sooner. We have another new set of 338 LM Dies to make ammo. so just a waiting game now.

if your only sending your print i would recommend JGS or Manson they are the most accurate, if using others send both print and fired cases. twice fired as a minimum. make notes on your print on how much sizing you want in specific areas mainly the .200 line and neck if not using bushings. also call and talk with the tech so everybody is on same page. they like to minimum size brass which is ok for comp. guns but not the best for hunting guns with higher pressures and chamber tolerances.

Just a thought here----I have several 338 Slowpokes which are an improved version of the 338 LM. My Smith makes almost all of my dies with my reamers. In a pinch I would send the drawings for the cartridge to them which is all that they would need unless I am way off base.

1675039725703.jpeg

Just a thought here----I have several 338 Slowpokes which are an improved version of the 338 LM. My Smith makes almost all of my dies with my reamers. In a pinch I would send the drawings for the cartridge to them which is all that they would need unless I am way off base.

View attachment 433518
Thanks Much
I'll attach a copy of my design. I have Dave Kiff's 338LM Tactical Match Reamer design also.

Our 338LMAI design is a little more Radical and for a Berger 300 OTM. Also have a throater to move it out a little more after the Reamer if wanted.
Building a ELR Rifle, but could also use the Reamer for a Great custom Hunting Rig.

Have all the components for this build with the NEW Reamer, Actions, barrels, stocks, Scopes, Scope Mounts, Triggers, Brakes, bullets, brass, powder, primers. (Stacked up in our build room)

Running a BAT "M" Single Shot - Dual Port Action

Bix'N Andy Trigger (have not decide on the model yet) or TT or Jewell

McMillan XIT Stock, adjustable cheekpiece, fitted 3-way adjustable butt plate.

Barrel is a Krieger 33" 1.45" X 1.00" MTU (will turn down to 1.30" diameter and 31" or 32") 1:9.35"Twist 6 groove 330 Bore.

Terminator T"F" Brake

Topped off with a Valdada RAM 200 Rifle Scope Adjustable Mount, Sphur Mount and one of two scopes:

NF Atacr 7-35x56 C613 or a Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36X56 RZR-63602

Loading Lapua Brass, Berger 300gr OTM Bullets. Have a variety of Powders but will most likely run Retumbo and Federal Match Mag Primers.
Will just fire form Cases off of 338LM cartridges.

Will be using the "VIPER FRONT REST" Custom made by Bob Pastor for us when shooting. Looking to shoot at least 2,500 yds+.

Any comments please chime in.

Len & Jill

Attachments

• 338 LM AI LS.pdf
    314.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Is it a problem that it takes a few firings on cases to really have them fireformed?
Yes, that's why they typically tell you to fire 2-3x before sending the cases in. Neck-size only, don't put them into a die that touches the body or shoulder. For an AI-style depending on how you fireform I'd do 4x.

That also includes DO NOT slide them into an FL die but not setting back the shoulders.

Yes, that's why they typically tell you to fire 2-3x before sending the cases in. Neck-size only, don't put them into a die that touches the body or shoulder. For an AI-style depending on how you fireform I'd do 4x.

That also includes DO NOT slide them into an FL die but not setting back the shoulders.
Just neck size to have enough neck tension to safely fire.

View attachment 433518
Just curious, but how does a smith use the chamber reamer to make dies? The die needs to be smaller than the chamber…right?