Whidden dies

hweissert

I have my first set of whidden dies with a 6.5 Sherman short I bought and to say I'm not impressed is a major understatement. The sizing die is a bushing and after a little machine work, I got it fixed and it works ok. The seating did seats whatever bullet you put in it to 3.345 ogive or greater and any other movement starts crushing the shoulder instead of moving the bullet. I've adjusted it 21 ways to Sunday and have been loading for a LONG time with every set of dies know to modern man. Anyone else had trouble. I've called several times and left several messages and have also came to conclusion I could get ahold of the President on the phone easier...

I have had zero issues with them. Sorry, thread out the die more if you're crushing shoulders
Yeah I've tried it all the way down, all the way out. Something happens when the stem gets to that 3.340 mark abs it locks the sleeve and starts rolling the shoulder. Can thread it al the way where there's 1/4" between shell holder and sleeve on bottom die and still does it

Yeah I've tried it all the way down, all the way out. Something happens when the stem gets to that 3.340 mark abs it locks the sleeve and starts rolling the shoulder. Can thread it al the way where there's 1/4" between shell holder and sleeve on bottom die and still does it
I'm running into the exact same issue with a brand new 7 SAUM die set. Were you ever able to solve your problem? I've been loading for a long time, but this is my first try with Whidden dies.

I'm running into the exact same issue with a brand new 7 SAUM die set. Were you ever able to solve your problem? I've been loading for a long time, but this is my first try with Whidden dies.
Yes sir I solved it...threw em in the trash and bought a set of hornady off rich Sherman. I'd of never of thought a set of hornady would be better than a "higher end" set of dies but, these are 10-fold. All my dies are Forster, Wilson, Redding etc. that was my first and last set of whidden dies.

I had the same issue, order the long seating stem and you'll be good to go

I've got several Whidden dies with no issues. And I've never had a problem getting them to respond. I've talked to John Whidden on the phone, he's answered a couple of my emails.

Curiosity would get the best of me before I threw an expensive set of dies away. I'll take them off your hands if you truly are throwing them away. I have some 6.5 SS brass on the way.

You couldn't give me a set of Hornady dies.

I had to buy the long stem as well. Fixed the issue though
Really strange. I've always heard good things about their dies. I was excited to give them a try.

Why in the world would they be selling a set of dies made for the exact caliber and bullet (they state it comes with a 168 VLD seating stem, which is what I'm trying to load), that doesn't fit with multiple customers experiencing the same issue? Guess I'll be giving them a call Monday. No response on an Instagram message as of yet, but doesn't link like their account is very active.

Call Whidden. They will send the stem you need. I had the same issue.

Now what did you remachine?

I've got several Whidden dies with no issues. And I've never had a problem getting them to respond. I've talked to John Whidden on the phone, he's answered a couple of my emails.

Curiosity would get the best of me before I threw an expensive set of dies away. I'll take them off your hands if you truly are throwing them away. I have some 6.5 SS brass on the way.

You couldn't give me a set of Hornady dies.
Sorry mike this was an older thread. I threw them away a while ago. I too was in the same boat as you on hornady as far as being reluctant on them. However, after a long conversation on the phone with Rich Sherman, and him telling me the success they'd had out of the hornadys, and the repeated issues they'd had with whidden, I decided to order a set. They have been FLAWLESS and I haven't ruined any $2 brass with them. I'd of preferred Forster but they were not in stock. I already chunked the whidden after a few calls into them. I must of not gotten the same customer service team on the phone as y'all. Now I feel about them as you do Hornady. Sorry I'd of sure given em to you.

Call Whidden. They will send the stem you need. I had the same issue.

Now what did you remachine?
Same deal here. I just bought a set of their 7saum dies. Had a short stem in it. Makes no sense to me. Luckily, I have a set of their 28 nosler dies which had a long stem. Drove me crazy till I figured it out.