Whidden Custom Dies

Anyone use their dies? I'm using Redding custom dies for my 6.5 Weatherby Mag. Are the Whidden dies worth $271.00?

i use their dies in a custom set for my 270 ar and my 6.5-284 their seater dies work excellent and their sizers work very well too. when i need custom dies i will be buying more

Beem gradually switching to Whidden dies as the need arises. I keep my RCBS front load seater dies however. Nothing beats the front load seater when you custom machine the plugs yourself.

Not too fond of John's lock rings (change them to Hornady split rings) but John's dies are the best IMO.

John sees fit to provide die boxes that are an odd size but they do stand out....lol

Thanks for the replies guys, I may try a set, although nothing wrong with the high dollar Redding customs, they are proud of them.

So is John. One thing I like about Whidden is, in this day and age of Credit Cards and electronic transfers, John accepts a personal check as payment.

BTW, his dies are mirror finished on the inside. While not a big item that does decrease sizing effort and unlike the the big die makers, his expander balls and decapper pins are perfectly centered all the time which of course has to do with the ample locating base on the top of the die thats machined flat and parallel; to the body itself.

No fiddling getting everything centered like some others (names not mentioned...):D

John also includes a headspacing gage with every die set and an extra expander ball/decapping rod and pins. Not what you get from the others (all extra cost wise).

John cuts his die bodies a bit shorter than the others as well so it's easier to bump shoullders without grindng the die base and rendering the die unsellable (if you ever want to sell it).

They cost more but you get what you pay for in a precision machined die with extra's that the others don't include.

Now, if I can convince John to change the box design so they stack...........

He offers both FL and NS die sets and bushing and non bushing chambered dies plus he will machine a wildcat on special order.

Been looking hard at his bullet pointing system too.

I am picking up a new set of 6.5 creedmore micrometer bullet sweater and full length. Size die , my question is does his dies have any problems with beger VLD or hybrid bullets , do you need a different seating stem ? I have reddings and had to switch the stems ?

I havent had any problems with the stem loading 215 bergers. Cant say his fl dies were pain free though.

I havent had any problems with the stem loading 215 bergers. Cant say his fl dies were pain free though.

Ageless Riley......:)

No die is pain free but John's are less of a pain than most. The biggest pain for me is the clunky box....lol

Per chance you haven't tried John's bullet pointing stuff yet, have you?

Looks very promising to me.

I like the boxes, i use mostly forster dies and they are the same box so im used to the size.

I havent tried the pointer, havent seen the need and would be concerned about it effecting expansion. If i take up f-class then i would look into it more closely.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.