What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

I was checking out some of the 19 caliber stuff on the Calhoun website. It looks really awesome! I would love to try it but was skeptical. I'm not in a position to hand load. The website said you could by loaded ammo for the gun from them. I don't know. Seems impractical right now.

James Calhoon makes loaded ammunition. I had a 22 Hornet in the CZ 527 that I sent to him to have it rebarreled. He does beautiful work. After shooting mine for a short time I sold my other 22 Hornet and my 22K-Hornet and all I shoot now is the .19 Badger. James is a great guy and really enjoys talking to you, he alway invites me up to do some squirrel shooting. I think that what really hurt him was when they came out with the .204 For me the .19 Badger is perfect. I had him re-barrel mine for two reasons. One was that I love to shoot ground squirrels and the only cartridge that I was considering was the 20 Var Targ. The other reason was that the way he makes his bullets they are the perfect Fur bullet. I have shot Ground Hogs with them with No exit, but with jellied lungs. I dont like the thought of a $350 Bob Cat with a large exit hole. The other thing is that it is just a really fun gun to shoot. 32gr bullet at 3600 17.8gr of A2200
Even Grey Fox pellts look great....................I first started shooting his 46 gr bullets out of my .222 then his 30gr ones for my 22 Hornets.................
The only draw back is that he is the only one to make the 19 cal bullets so I just purchased 3,000 of them and 500 cases.

They are so much fun to shoot with almost no recoil and they explode ground squirrels

G

I've killed several over the yrs with the .223rem and 55gr hp never had them do anything other than drop. I've experimented with the 53v-max superformance and love them out of my ar. Until I got my ar i shot them with a 243win, I've hit them with 75grhp, 95gr ballistic tips and regular old rem corloks same results with all dead as a sack of hammer and never moved again. I'm currently shooting 58gr superformance and 58 gr ballistic tip winchesters, here in alaska I've got a chance of calling in a wolf and I want a little more firepower. Not to mention a ruger american rifle is much lighter than my ar.

Myself here in oklahoma I use a .220 swift. I use nosler 40 gr ballistic tips except during deer season then I use either a 7stw with 140 gr barnes ttsx or a 300 win mag with 180 gr barnes tsx bullets.

@ railroader there will always be room in my safe for at least one swift. And a friend had a 257 stw and barrel life was not good. But you pay a price for velocity. I get very good life from my 7's.

Our "go to" gun is a 243 with 105gr VLDs. Not the best choice if you are putting fur up, but it really messes with their plan when they hang up way out there.

Low recoil, makes a fantastic deer & antelope round and has filled more than a few elk tags when the situation called for a light recoiler.

Is there a bad coyote caliber? :D

I agree completely . The .243 is hard to beat

Hey 7stwluvr thanks for the info! I'd like to try a 7 one day. I definitely gotta get me a swift! They are hard to find around here. I've only found one and didn't have a dime on me. Dang the luck!

I've been using my 25-06 but haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on a tote yet. The deer were not as lucky.

243 Ackley Improved - 100 yard zero
85gr Sierra Matchking
36.6grs IMR 3031
WLR primer
Winchester brass
3100fps Note: Fire formed 243 100gr SP Winchester factory loaded ammo.

Fox 200 yards POA/POI +1 moa-under tip of nose, blew out lower jaw.
Bobcat 200 yards wind gust 10-20mph cross wind from 9 to 3 L-R. Cat facing to the right. POI +1 moa- below chin holding 2 moa left. Impact behind right shoulder.
Coyote 190 yards POA/POI +1 moa-below nose. Blew out lower jaw and punched through the chest.
(I also hunt with a Weatherby MK V- 223, 53gr V-Max. However in a new hunting areas with the potential for a long shot the 243AI is the go to choice. Extremely accurate).

Rifle: Rem 700 SA, 28" Kreiger 1-10 heavy varmint barrel, 1.5 lb jewel trigger, Precision Stock with aluminum bedding block milled true to action and glass bedded, action accuracy tuned, drilled and tapped 8-40 mounting screws, with stainless steel dowel pinned custom Gruning Precision steel scope base 20moa, NF steel scope rings, NF 3.5-15 x 50 NSX NP-R1. Stock Cheek Rest is handmade and installed by myself. Something I learned to do in the Marine Corps.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Attachments

• 7.11.13 243AI 85gr  2212hrs.jpg
    7.11.13 243AI 85gr 2212hrs.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 7.12.13 243AI 0243Hrs.jpg
    7.12.13 243AI 0243Hrs.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 7.12.13 Coyote Hybrid 0430hrs.jpg
    7.12.13 Coyote Hybrid 0430hrs.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts