What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

I have hit coyotes through both lungs with 50gr bullets out of my 22-250 and still they ran some distace. In the snow it was easy to find them but if not not so easy.

I now shoot a .243 AI shooting 80gr Berger Match Varmint bullets....... I dont track anymore.

I am concerned about all the people that use 22-250 and have the coyote run off to be tracked later. I have hunted and shot Coyotes in Vermont, Maine, Nevada, Oklahoma, California, Idaho, and Western Montana with a 22-250 without fail the coyotes only take one to 4 steps before they drop in their tracks. I use 55 grain and 60 grain slugs, Win 760 powder, Winchester cases, Winchester primers, Rem 700 bolt gun and a Nikon scope. I have hit heart/lung shots, head shots, quartering shots without failure the coyote goes down. the only coyote that has not gone down immediately is one that I missed completely. there was one other; it was a wolf that I mistook for a coyote. he took a 90 grain slug from a 25-06 to stop. I have hit 65 pound monster coyotes with 60 grain Nosler ballistic tip boat tail with great success. I am worried about my continued success without using a larger caliber. Until I start having failure to die within 20 feet of being hit I am still going to rely on my 22-250 with Hornady and Nosler slugs. I might be changing powder someday.. but not soon. excellent accuracy, great velocity and gentle recoil. I can not ask for more.

later Y'all.gun)

My hunting buddy has been using a 22-250 for years. He loads 52 gr Sierra Match Kings. We've been hunting 15 plus years and I've never seen a coyote run off. Everyone has taken a dirt nap right there on the spot. We've taken many beyond 300 yards and again, they don't go any where but coyote heaven.

The results are always a bloody mess.
Gonzo

For the longest time I've been shooting everything with my custom .338 Win Mag with 70.5gr H4350 behing a 225AB mainly because it shoots tiny groups out to 600yrds, lots of field data and I have more components than I'll ever reload but, recently after reading this thread I dusted off my 20 year dormant 25-06 just for kicks and loaded some 85gr Nosler BTs ahead of 55.0gr of H4350, blasted a couple of coyotes lately and now.....have officially designated my 25-06 for coyotes only.

Ever one is another satisfied customer...........dead before they hit the ground, not doubt the 338WM knocks em out but, this combo seems to be more electric.....

Now I'm thinking I might neck my .338 down to .257 and see what happens with the same bullet at 4000fps.

I have used my 22-250 on coyotes with a lot of different bullets. From 40gr V-max to 60gr partitions even to FMJ reduced loads. Like I mentioned before I had one Coyote run for about 60 yards with a hole out through the other side of his lungs using a 50gr Ballistic Tip................Just that one all others were DOA

Greg,
only one? sounds like the walking/running dead. I once hit a deer at 400+ yards on the run, total luck shot. heart and lungs were gone but he ran off with a non-functioning heart, lungs that were collapsed, and bleeding buckets but this deer still ran 200 extra yards before he dropped. all other deer that have been shot with any of my deer guns (257 Roberts, 25-06, or 270 Win) I have had all others drop in their tracks without taking more than 3 steps from where I shot them. It just happens sometimes.
I love the 50 grain ballistic tip from Nosler or the V-max from Hornady. I have used the Varminting Bergers too. the 30 grain 17 cals are out of this world for coyotes. the 50 grain hunters are great as well.
My 22-250 likes the 52 grain V-max, 55 grain V-max and for longer shots, the 60 grain ballistic tip-boat tails from Nosler.
I would not change over one coyote running 60 yards after shot.
Haus

Full Auto,
that seems to be a bit over kill but I like your way of thinking. I personally would use a 257 Weatherby or a 25-284 Winchester or a 25-270 WSM. with 110 to 117 grain slug. but you go right ahead and use a 300 H&H I like the H&H rounds.. I personally own a 375 H&H.. good for lots of things including long range target.

So what do you do when a big male tomcat comes into your call...........Knowing that some big toms can bring close to $400.

You can pretty much determine what animal will come in to your call by the terrain you hunt but every now and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I hope for the best every single time I pull the trigger...................

First Coyote I called in caught me totally off guard.............I had a brand new 22-250 Hit him in the hip socket ...................It was bad, put another one in him and sat there for about 15 min..........................kind of out of it. Never wanted to do that again........................I like clean kills.

G

Hey that's the reality of hunting! There are so many variables when your out there. Unfavorable things happen. However it does make us strive to do better. Bad shots happen. It helps you adapt and think about the next time. Bad things has helped me and caused me to prepare . My hunting time has been cut short by an awesome little boy! One day, Lord willing, he and I will be out together and ill teach him about those mistakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts