Stoeger 3020 VS Mossberg SA-20 which is the better more reliable turkey hammer?

DartonJager

Seeing as they are the same weight 5.5lbs for either the 20 or 28 gauge I'll go with the 20ga for the added TSS pellet count.
I was just wondering has one a clear advantage in reliability over the other
Only negative I have heard about the SA-20 is it's 10lb+ trigger pull. Haven't heard any real negatives about the 3020.
Cost is not a factor only which is the better all around turkey hammer. Plan on using 3" Foxtrot TSS shells.

The gas driven Mossberg will cycle lighter loads than the Inertia driven Stoeger, they are both finished out about the same, the Stoeger will take a little more time and a few more rounds to break in if you just run light loads thru it. Honestly, it's been so long since I have held or shot a inertia 20ga Stoeger, I could be completely wrong about it.

Last time I looked they were priced comparable and IIRC, both breakdown easily with no need to remove the buttstock except for drop and cast changes. I'd say, get whichever one you can get your hands on the fastest and go to the sporting clays club and break it in.

Pellet count is the reason why you use TSS, you get the same or slightly more with small loads without all the recoil.

The Mossberg SA20's are the identical gun to the Tristar Viper G2's and both get excellent reviews. I've played with the SA20 tactical turkey the last few times I've been in sportsmans and it's a really sweet little shotgun and I'll probably end up with one before next turkey season.

MCarbo makes a trigger spring that gives it a nice trigger pull so that's really not an issue. I've shot a Viper G2 with it and it felt nice. It still had some creep but that's the nature of the beast with all semis.

On the cheaper semi autos (especially Turkish ones) the chance of needing to use the warranty is higher and I would definitely rather deal with Mossbergs CS than Beretta. They suck to deal with on their higher end brands, so I could only imagine how bad it would be on a cheap Stoeger.

I'd buy the Mossberg and not look back. You can get the Mossberg tactical turkey from Delohnega armory for about $630 shipped to your dealer BTW.

I have been using a stoeger m2000 for probably 20 years that has been 100% reliable after it was broke in. Every inertia operated shotgun I have had to have at least a box of high brass to operate reliably. My friends son has been using a stoeger 3500 for goose hunting for close to 10 years without a problem.
The gas operated will be a bit softer shooting. I am currently using a 20 gauge Franchi affinity (5,5 lbs) inertia operated for turkey and has some kick using 3" TSS.
As mentioned in a post above you should try to get your hands on each to see how they fit you.

Thanks for all the replies. Tomorrow is the last day of my states spring turkey season so I am going hunting. On my way home will stop at my local Cabelas they have a few in 410 but should fit close enough to 20ga to give me an idea if it feels right.
As far as recoil goes I've shot more 12ga 3" and 3.5" shells than I can even begin to count but safe money bet 3" shells are north of 200 and 2.5" is 100+. 20ga 3" will feel like one of my 35 Rem's to me.

I own a Stoeger M3020, absolutely zero issues with this shotgun. Not the most refined but it cycles everything just fine. Never hangs and has about 3,000 rounds through it. Easy to clean and patterns very good with the factory chokes. I had the factory stock cut down to fit my son and ordered a replacement to go back on as he grows. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. We occasionally have get togethers where we gather and shoot clays and it's the gun most all the kids and ladies what to shoot. It points good and even though it's inertia driven, the recoil isn't bad at all. And it has cycled the lightest target loads just fine.

Stoeger's inertia system is supposedly very similar to the benelli and that's why they bought stoeger.
On my way home will stop at my local Cabelas they have a few in 410 but should fit close enough to 20ga to give me an idea if it feels right.
Since you are stopping, I would recommend checking out the Franchi affinity in 20 gauge. It's also a 5.5 pound gun.

That sounds like a solid decision to go with the 20 gauge for the added TSS pellet count! In terms of reliability, both the SA-20 and the 3020 are reputable options, but it's understandable to have concerns about trigger pull weight. While the SA-20's 10lb+ trigger pull has been mentioned as a potential drawback, the 3020 seems to have fewer reported negatives. With that in mind, the 3020 might be the better choice, considering its favorable reputation and lack of significant negative feedback! I hope this is helpful.

Overall I would say that Stoegers get quite a bit of negative feedback and have a lot of issues reported. I would say more so than the Tristar/Mossberg. It's very well regarded as a decent platform. If you do have a problem with either of them Beretta has about the worst CS in the industry and that's who you get to deal with on the Stoeger.

I'd happily spend $12 for a spring kit to fix the one negative about the Mossberg before I'd roll the dice on another Stoeger. I've owned two double barrel Stoegers and they were both pieces of ****.

Well went a slightly different but similar route. Found just to good of a deal on a Tristar Viper G2 20 gauge P-grip to pass up and ordered one.
I'm really getting tired of Cabela's/BP not just rarely if ever having a firearm I want to buy in tock, but not even available to order. I have $100's in Club points and more than enough to have bough either a SA-20 or G2 Viper but Cabela's/BP doesn't have either in stock nor can I order either.
Last five firearms I bought were either VERY popular HG's, shotguns or rifles in popular public ground legal for my state calibers and Cabela's/BP didn't carry either or could order me one.
Same goes for my last few rifle scope purchases.