What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

Good morning fellow coyote hunters. I have posted a few times on this thread about what I use and my new projects. I must admit I was never going to get a 22-250 Rem.. but one fell into my lap.. darn near literally. I got it for a few dollars and found it to be a super accurate 224 caliber. I should mention that 52-53, 55, and 60 grain slugs are devastating to the coyote population around here. I have used Hornady V-max, SX and Nosler varmint 60 grain and Varmigedon projectiles with more success than I thought I would get. the smarter coyotes stay about 350 yards from any call unless they are hungry. the 60 grain ballistic tipped Nosler slugs are superb. I have not had them take but one to two steps before laying down and dying. my 17 Rem has taken many many coyotes at 100 yards or less. pin hole in one side, jell-o inside. I have yet to find a 243/6mm hat was worth a darn. for the really long range I have to admit my 25-06 does hammer them with the authority of Thor's hammer but the pelts are not worth saving. One major reason I use the 25-06 for summertime culling of coyotes on the ranches around here. my fellow coyote hunters in my area stick to the 22-250, 243 win, 6mm middlestead, 22 BRs/PPCs and 6MM BR's/PPC's. Then you have Glenn.. the 25-35 and 30-30 guy. Go Glenn.. *L*
my own coral is 17 Rem (1:9 twist), 22-250 (1:12 twist), two 223 WSSM (1:14 and 1:12 twist), and the 25-06. if I have to hit something like a wolf.. The 25-06 is my go-to rifle. I will have to get a better scope for the 25-06 one of these days.
Having said all this.. I am partial to my 17 Remington as my go-to rifle for taking down the local coyotes. Now that I have the 22-250, I am going to keep that close at hand in the field. that rifle is too good to leave at home or in the truck.
once my two 223 WSSM's are finished.. I will have to shoot them for accuracy and see if I have more super coyote guns. as it sits now.. the buggy whip barrels are very inaccurate. :D talk to Y'all later
happy shooting gun)
Haus

I've seen absolutely nothing harder on a coyote than a 6mm Remington using 80 grain Sierra Blitz bullets. At 300 yards they almost bi-sect a 30lb. dog. Yet most coyotes I've shot over the last three or four years has been with a Remington 700 VS in .223 national match. Has a 20" barrel with a .246" chamber neck. Usually use a Hornaday 55 grain Vmax at 3270fps. They rarely take three steps at 300 yards.

Before I'd go with the 22-.243's, I do the Durham Jet. It's a 2.04" .243 case with the 40 degree shoulder and a .30" neck length. It will easilly push a 63 grain bullet close to 3800 fps. Or simply build a .220 Jaybird. Hogdons has load data in their manual, and it will push a 69 grain bullet to nearly 3650 fps. Has the desired longer neck with a 35 degree shoulder. Built off a .243 case as well. These two rounds are similar. Of course you could just simply build a 6mm Vias, and shoot coyotes in the next county! (70 grain bullets at 4100fps). This round is a necked down 6.5x55 improved with the shoulder pushed back about .04". Better suited for use with 85 grain and heavier bullets I'd think.
gary

Afternoon Y'all!
I just got my 22-250 back from Remington (bolt replacement). Ever seen a bolt crack? it happened to me on a 2005 vintage bolt.
I went out and tried it. It's still a tack driver. I called a few coyotes over the weekend. 402 yards, 60 grain Vamint Nosler slug. A 65 pounder never took a step after being shot. I am officially impressed with the slugs. still being impressed by the 22-250.
gun)
Haus

17 Remington and 30g Kindler Gold bullets @ 3600 fps. No spinners or runners, just Bang-Flop. My best description is that of electric shock. The Yote just locks up, and falls over. I don't know what happens inside, must be something like hydraulic shock. Pinhole entrance, no exit, just dead Yote. Most times doesn't even kick. There is a video somewhere on the web of a guy using the Kindlers in a 17 Predator. I think its called "17 with a 17". It is something good to watch and gave me the idea of using those bullets. My experience is axactly what you see in the video.

17 Remington and 30g Kindler Gold bullets @ 3600 fps. No spinners or runners, just Bang-Flop. My best description is that of electric shock. The Yote just locks up, and falls over. I don't know what happens inside, must be something like hydraulic shock. Pinhole entrance, no exit, just dead Yote. Most times doesn't even kick. There is a video somewhere on the web of a guy using the Kindlers in a 17 Predator. I think its called "17 with a 17". It is something good to watch and gave me the idea of using those bullets. My experience is axactly what you see in the video.

a lot of that has to do with the size of the dog. In west Texas and New Mexico they are much smaller that what I see up here. Yet I've probably seen two dozen dogs hit with 22-250's the got up and went two hundred yards to die. So a lot of that is bullet selection I think. I've shot more than a few with the 22-250, and under 300 yards I see little difference between the .223 and the 22-250, and have used both in that range. To be exact I think the .223 works a little better as the bullets dosn't just blow thru them. On the other hand a good 6mm bullet in the 22-250 case will flat smoke them. The 6/250AI will take them further than most of us need to be shooting anyway (probably 650 to 700 yards). The 80 grain Blitz in a 6mm Remington is about done at 500 yards, and that's when you need to switch over to the 87 grain Vmax with a healthy load of H414 (3250fps area). That's a solid 750 yard round, but the 105 grain bullet would be better at that range. With a 6mm bullet they don't go anywhere
gary

Tricky Missfit.
With the Hornady SX 55 grain slugs topping off 38.5 grains of Win 760 the coyote does not have two holes in his hide and he drops like a wet sack of potatoes. this is my proven load for Wilie Coyote. I have gone after Coyotes in Nevada, Vermont, Maine, and Northern New Hampshire. All went down without taking a step afterwards. In NV 40 grain V-max slugs will drop a coyote at a reasonable distance, 400 yards or so. The other V-max 22 cals will keep from over penetrating as well. Here we like keeping the hides for sale. I am not advocating putting huge holes in the coyotes. 6MM is great for blowing fist sized holes in Coyotes. I am not into that.
For 700 yard and beyond coyote shooting I would use a 25-06 with 90 to 110 grain Nosler Ballistic tip boat tail or Sierra Gamekings SPBT, topping off 55.0 grains of Supreme 780 or 59.5 Grains of H-1000 with standard primers moving out at 3220 FPS. I just do not trust 6MM slugs or cartridges. I have watched other people use them and either they are overkill or they slide right through without doing any damage. sorry, I just do not trust any 6MM cartridge.
Fred

Tricky Missfit.
With the Hornady SX 55 grain slugs topping off 38.5 grains of Win 760 the coyote does not have two holes in his hide and he drops like a wet sack of potatoes. this is my proven load for Wilie Coyote. I have gone after Coyotes in Nevada, Vermont, Maine, and Northern New Hampshire. All went down without taking a step afterwards. In NV 40 grain V-max slugs will drop a coyote at a reasonable distance, 400 yards or so. The other V-max 22 cals will keep from over penetrating as well. Here we like keeping the hides for sale. I am not advocating putting huge holes in the coyotes. 6MM is great for blowing fist sized holes in Coyotes. I am not into that.
For 700 yard and beyond coyote shooting I would use a 25-06 with 90 to 110 grain Nosler Ballistic tip boat tail or Sierra Gamekings SPBT, topping off 55.0 grains of Supreme 780 or 59.5 Grains of H-1000 with standard primers moving out at 3220 FPS. I just do not trust 6MM slugs or cartridges. I have watched other people use them and either they are overkill or they slide right through without doing any damage. sorry, I just do not trust any 6MM cartridge.
Fred

the SX bullet does well in a slower twist barrel at moderate speeds, but if you have a 1:9 twist 22-250 you may or may not get the bullet to the target. The Vmax jacket is much heavier construction. I personally have never shot a coyote with a 25-06, but have spotted for my brother who was using one. Work quite well, but so does the .257AI and a couple others in 25 cailber. The 80 grain Blitz just shreds them. Works well in a nine twist barrel at 3450 fps. In the 6mm bore, I think I've tried most of the more common bullets, and have sorta settled on the 80 grain, 85/87 grain, and the 105 amax. In my 6/250AI I could probably hit coyotes well into the 800+ yard range if I were somewhat insane (my ex's already assure us that I am). Over the last ten years or so, I've rarely had the need to take a shot past the 400 yard bracket, and the real problem is dogs getting so close that I have trouble picking them up in a scope. Try a mouse squeaker! I had one jump in a ditch with me one evening!
gary

of over 250 i have only killed one with the 6.5-284. second furthest though.. 419 yards. i used a 120 balistic tip. that is what i had that rifle loaded and sighted in with to hunt coues. i also shoot a 123 scenar. roninflag

of over 250 i have only killed one with the 6.5-284. second furthest though.. 419 yards. i used a 120 balistic tip. that is what i had that rifle loaded and sighted in with to hunt coues. i also shoot a 123 scenar. roninflag

Thanks I'm waiting on a rifle to be finished. We're starting with the 123 A-Max, but who knows how long a supply of anything will last these days

Evening gents.
I've been I using the .243 Winchester in a Weatherby Accumark Ultra Lightweight since about 2000.
58 Hornady VMax at 3900fps with win 760 powder and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 illuminated Mil-dot has been my standard. Used a .223 heavy barrel of various Remington's, 24"-20" guns for years.

Swapped over to the lightweight Weatherby and packed it for last 14 or so years.

I also have used .17 Rem, .223 Rem and .25-06 for coyote calling.

The WBY has been such a joy to pack. Use it for antelope and deer as well with an 85 grain Barnes TSX.

Calf-killers get a Nosler 85 Ballistic tip from a .25-06. They don't pack those off. A broadside liver hit will almost rip one in half.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.