What's in your user name?

Yup, I'm a lefty...
I bet no one would ever guess my favorite rifle to hunt based on my name here... It's a Browning Stainless Stalker in 300win... Was a Boss, then I went CR...
I've got a soft spot for the 7stw and shoot the heck out of one. The buck in my avitar was brained at 300 yards a few years back with my current 7stw. My Pops has a rem 700 dbm in 7stw that is simply the black death for him...

Yup, I'm a lefty...
I bet no one would ever guess my favorite rifle to hunt based on my name here... It's a Browning Stainless Stalker in 300win... Was a Boss, then I went CR...
I've got a soft spot for the 7stw and shoot the heck out of one. The buck in my avitar was brained at 300 yards a few years back with my current 7stw. My Pops has a rem 700 dbm in 7stw that is simply the black death for him...
I understand that. My first STW was the same model straight from the custom shop.

The problem is, every few years I find a new one in the safe.... . They must mate in the dark or something.😂🤣😂

I understand that. My first STW was the same model straight from the custom shop.

The problem is, every few years I find a new one in the safe.... . They must mate in the dark or something.😂🤣😂
I've got a spare barrel hanging on the antlers in 7mmstw from the 6x7 buck I shot years back before I realized the headspace and other issues with the build... I want to get it shooting again, but a lefty mag donor action is a bit hard to get right now in m700...

Shortgrass, because the area in Western Oklahoma, where I live, is known by the ol' timers as the "shortgrass prairie",, as opposed to the 'tall grass prairie' of North Central and North Eastern Oklahoma. To back-up just a bit, during my first days at Montgomery Community College enrolled in the gunsmithing program, I was introduced to another Oklahoman who was there enrolled in the Firearms Engraving Program there. They (the instructors) didn't want us leaving and taking our tuition money with us because we got homesick (in the early '90s they had trouble filling the gunsmithing and engraving programs. Today, there are waiting lists for enrollment). One day at lunch time, as I walked up to the table to sit down with my brown bag lunch, my new friend looked up at me and exclaimed, "Shortgrass!", because I guess he had forgotten my name! We became life long friends and re-connected upon our return home (Gunsmithing is a 2yr study, engraving is 1yr). Sadly, my engraver Buddy passed a few years back from complications from leukemia. He did some beautiful and professional work, to say the least, and was my best friend when I needed one the most ..... (North Carolina was definitely a 'culture shock'! Some of those people are actually liberals!).

Last edited:
I've got a spare barrel hanging on the antlers in 7mmstw from the 6x7 buck I shot years back before I realized the headspace and other issues with the build... I want to get it shooting again, but a lefty mag donor action is a bit hard to get right now in m700...
Just cruise around pawn shops, mom and pop gun shops or GB for a beat up lefty in a long action magnum bolt.

You can usually buy an old rifle for far less than a new action and you might even get a decent stock in the deal.

Mines pretty boring just my dog's name.
Gus Dog
He's getting old now but here's a pic in his glory days
IMG_20191027_142522694.jpg

Just cruise around pawn shops, mom and pop gun shops or GB for a beat up lefty in a long action magnum bolt.

You can usually buy an old rifle for far less than a new action and you might even get a decent stock in the deal.
Gun and estate auctions too. Chances are if you find one at a gun auction there will only be yourself and maybe one or two others interested!

@Deputy819 - Welp, you asked for my story, now you'll have to suffer through it.

Some of my work gear
31 armor crop edit.jpg

Like many of us here, I live in a world of "call signs." Rarely do we get to choose a callsign, most often it chooses you.

I'll state up-front that I don't believe in numerology, or any of the weirdness that can be associated with assigning mystical powers to a number. Having said that, the number 31 has had an incredible significance in my life since I was a teenager. There have been an almost eerie number of things in my life that relate back to 31, too many to get into here.

I can summarize by saying that since around 1986, the number 31 has generally represented the pursuit of excellence and perfection. That is not in any way to say that I see myself there, but simply somewhere along the path of pursuing the ideals of excellence and perfection.

Later in life, in my mid 20's, I became a believer and follower of Jesus - and my decade long affinity for the number 31 took on an entirely new meaning regarding the 3-in-1 (God-head) aspect of my belief.

Those around me at work and in my personal life started to refer to me as "thirty one" and at some point around 2004 I overheard a colleague saying something about "that bad thirty one."

Initially after hearing this, I walked a little taller (and probably puffed out my chest too much), thinking "that's right, I'm one bad thirty one!" Some real "Leroy Brown" going on there... 😆

As time wore on, I was humbled by the realization that I probably wasn't being complimented when being referred to as "bad thirty one."

I am probably nowhere near my best on most days, and I realized that I needed to hold myself in a lot lower esteem and focus on that original pursuit of excellence and service to others. A significant note to add here is that for the reason of trying to keep my ego and attitude in check and in the spirit of at least trying to put myself "second," my "handle" here - and elsewhere - of badthirtyone is not capitalized. It may be a small or insignificant thing to most (who would notice?), but it matters to me.

While 31 is not my "official" work call sign, "thirty one" has stuck with me for almost all of my adult life. Simply put, the "bad" portion of it is that I am probably nowhere near my end goal - but I am always looking to improve!

It sure makes me easy to find on the range, the Motocross track, or wherever...
CIMG0208.JPG

Magpul went out of their way to assist my boys several years back by unexpectedly fully outfitting their AR's and this was a "thank you" poster that we had made for them. The last time I spoke with them, they let me know that the framed copy of this was hanging in their corporate office.
Thank you promo shot 2.jpg

Me and one of my sons on a recent outing at the 550 yard range
31 spotter crop.png

Most of my gear ends up getting the moniker added in some way. This is a full custom that I was able to pick up yesterday. I just created a new thread on this rifle that was posted last night - https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-full-custom-black-canyon-customs.294281/#post-2440079
31 closeup crop.jpg

This. This is the reason I can never give up my pursuit of being the best that I can be.
Little 31's.jpg

badthirtyone

@Deputy819 - Welp, you asked for my story, now you'll have to suffer through it.

Some of my work gear
View attachment 340467

Like many of us here, I live in a world of "call signs." Rarely do we get to choose a callsign, most often it chooses you.

I'll state up-front that I don't believe in numerology, or any of the weirdness that can be associated with assigning mystical powers to a number. Having said that, the number 31 has had an incredible significance in my life since I was a teenager. There have been an almost eerie number of things in my life that relate back to 31, too many to get into here.

I can summarize by saying that since around 1986, the number 31 has generally represented the pursuit of excellence and perfection. That is not in any way to say that I see myself there, but simply somewhere along the path of pursuing the ideals of excellence and perfection.

Later in life, in my mid 20's, I became a believer and follower of Jesus - and my decade long affinity for the number 31 took on an entirely new meaning regarding the 3-in-1 (God-head) aspect of my belief.

Those around me at work and in my personal life started to refer to me as "thirty one" and at some point around 2004 I overheard a colleague saying something about "that bad thirty one."

Initially after hearing this, I walked a little taller (and probably puffed out my chest too much), thinking "that's right, I'm one bad thirty one!" Some real "Leroy Brown" going on there... 😆

As time wore on, I was humbled by the realization that I probably wasn't being complimented when being referred to as "bad thirty one."

I am probably nowhere near my best on most days, and I realized that I needed to hold myself in a lot lower esteem and focus on that original pursuit of excellence and service to others. A significant note to add here is that for the reason of trying to keep my ego and attitude in check and in the spirit of at least trying to put myself "second," my "handle" here - and elsewhere - of badthirtyone is not capitalized. It may be a small or insignificant thing to most (who would notice?), but it matters to me.

While 31 is not my "official" work call sign, "thirty one" has stuck with me for almost all of my adult life. Simply put, the "bad" portion of it is that I am probably nowhere near my end goal - but I am always looking to improve!

View attachment 340493

Magpul went out of their way to assist my boys several years back by unexpectedly fully outfitting their AR's and this was a "thank you" poster that we had made for them. The last time I spoke with them, they let me know that the framed copy of this was hanging in their corporate office.
View attachment 340494

View attachment 340495

Most of my gear ends up getting the moniker added in some way. This is a full custom that I was able to pick up yesterday. I just created a new thread on this rifle that was posted last night - https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-full-custom-black-canyon-customs.294281/#post-2440079
View attachment 340496

This. This is the reason I can never give up my pursuit of being the best that I can be.
View attachment 340497

badthirtyone
Totally sweet! Respect Brother!

Amen brother! The little things that help to keep us humble. True self evaluation should be something we go through on a regular basis and that can only be done through Jesus Christ

Thanks

Buck

Some of my work gear
View attachment 340467

View attachment 340493

View attachment 340494

View attachment 340495

View attachment 340496

View attachment 340497

badthirtyone

Amen brother! The little things that help to keep us humble. True self evaluation should be something we go through on a regular basis and that can only be done through Jesus Christ

Thanks

Buck
In my line of work (past now) I had two things I drew upon....one a very old pin-up poster ( probably 45 years ago)....2 Buzzards sitting on a lone tree branch in the Dessert..one looking at the other saying "PATIENCE MY ARSE...IM GOING TO GO KILL SOMETHING!".....another quote I used often ...." I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE YOU ACCEPT JESUS...BUT I'M ABOUT TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!" Have a terrific day all.