What should I turn a 300RUM into?

lamiglas

I have a Rem 700 stainless 300 RUM that I am thinking about turning into something else. I'm looking for ideas on what to do with it. I'd love to hear your thoughts! I am thinking about something fairly light weight that is comfortable to shoot without a break. I absolutely love breaks and have them on all my longrange rifles. With a lightweight carry rifle in mind, I am thinking no break for this one. High mtn mule deer will be the primary target, out to approx 500 yards. if I'm setting up for further than that, I will use my edge.

I would look into a 26 or 27 Nosler with 7" twist in either one. You would have a fairly mild recoil and easy 500y capability. Room in you current action to allow you to seat bullets out with a longer throat when you chamber. Would be a really fun rifle.

How heavy a bullet you run will make a big difference on how much recoil you will have. Either one of these will fit your bill.

Steve

I have a Rem 700 stainless 300 RUM that I am thinking about turning into something else. I'm looking for ideas on what to do with it. I'd love to hear your thoughts! I am thinking about something fairly light weight that is comfortable to shoot without a break. I absolutely love breaks and have them on all my longrange rifles. With a lightweight carry rifle in mind, I am thinking no break for this one. High mtn mule deer will be the primary target, out to approx 500 yards. if I'm setting up for further than that, I will use my edge.

7mm STW or .28 Nosler.

I appreciate the replies, and ideas. I am hoping to rebarrel and not have to have any, or much bolt work done. does that eliminate any that were mentioned?

I appreciate the replies, and ideas. I am hoping to rebarrel and not have to have any, or much bolt work done. does that eliminate any that were mentioned?

All recommendations so far (except the .280 AI) use the same .540" bolt face as your .300 RUM does.

The .28 Nosler will use the RUM mag box perfectly, as the Nosler cartridges were designed off the RUM's parent case (.404 Jeffery). The 7mm STW will also work with the RUM mag box, but is slightly smaller in diameter, and could cause potential cycling issues. I have an STW built off a RUM action, and it works fine. I was just mentioning it, because there's always a change that it might not work perfectly and would require swapping the mag box and follower to a magnum mag box and follower...But they are not very expensive.

Well, smaller bore to reduce recoil, mag bolt face....the 7's won't be a major difference from the RUM, so I'd say 257 Wby, or some 25 wildcat mag, 26 Nos, 264 WM or 270 Wby. Heck any mid size 6.5 is devastating on deer at 500 yards...

For years the 338 edge has been my hunting partner and my go to gun from squirrels to elk, rocks and steel . Basically, we spent all of out time behind one rifle, learning to read the wind and practicing with the gun we would be hunting with. I had no interest in shooting anything else UNTIL I built my boys a 260. That thing is so much fun to shoot, I absolutely love it, and so do my boys! in fact, my 9 year shot his second deer with it two nights ago! Anyway, that rifle, and a high mountain mule deer hunt we went on this year has got me thinking about this new build. With this particular hunt in mind, I am really liking the idea of the 26 nosler! I have a lot of 140 grain berger on hand already because my boys go through them like they are skittles! I am really enjoying seeing your responses and at this point could still be talked into anything! Thanks again

That really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The Muzzle brake I prefer doesn't weigh more than probably four to six ounces at most for the 3/4" OD versions.

I have a lightweight .300Rum and without the brake on it, it was rather unpleasant to shoot to say the least.

It's very hard to beat the ballistics of the .30 calibers but if Mulies are the biggest game on your list something in 6.5 or 7mm would make a lot of sense. With your Rum length magazine you can go down to something like the 26Nosler, .264wm, 28 Nosler, 7mm Rem, or even 300wm and have plenty of room to seat the long/heavy for caliber bullets out as far as necessary to avoid compressed loads.

I bought a couple of Model 70 Classic Stainless rifles pretty cheap, one in 300wm and another in 300 Rum with the intent of using them to build a .375 Ruger on the first and a 26 Nosler on the 2nd but on a whim started shooting the .300 Rum and it shoots rather well for 3 shot groups (light barrel contour) and I finally got over the idea of building a 26 Nosler due to barrel life issues.

I will likely eventually use the 300wm to build a nice .264wm and the Rum for a long barreled .375Ruger to play with at long range.

The 6.5's really shine on deer sized game and there's a tremendous selection of high BC hunting bullets out there to load them with.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts