What should I do?

I just got more good news. I emailed the guy I got it from, and he said it is already bedded and free floated.
Good news. I'd still suggest having a good gunsmith look it over, check it out, and torque the action screws.

Keeping them evenly and properly torqued can make a really big difference in performance and save you lots of aggravation and problems down the line.

You also need to get a torque bit driver so that after you take it apart to clean it and put it back together you can retorque them.

Ok. This one is supposed to have about 300 rounds down it, so I should be good for a while.
Where's a good place to get a rail for one of these?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Getting a used rifle is like rolling dice. The previous owner may have babied it or abused it. I once watched a guy put a box (20 rounds) through a brand new 7mm RM in about 5 min. I have little doubt that barrel was toast. The fact that the previous owner of your rifle says the action was bedded and barrel free floated suggests he probably took care of it. I agree with having a good smith give it a look over... and a bore scope.

I picked up 4 boxes of 230 grain bergers and an 8 pound keg of H1000 today. I'm about ready to try them out. I have some federal 210 primers and some CCI benchrest BR-2 primers. Which ones would be the best?

You should look to the federal 215 primers or other magnum primer....I use the federal 215M in my 30-378 and found Retumbo to give me great accuracy and velocity but you have to watch the loads for prssure, H1000 is a great choice as well.....I was not able to get the 230's shooting as good as the 210's and Barnes 200gr LRX in my rifle. I can push these typically to about 3,150 fps.........mine has killed a pile of elk and Oryx

I'm working on my 2nd 8# keg of Retumbo and accuracy is still very good........

I think a 30-378 is an excellent LRH rig and one that many would be happy with, sounds,like you make a good trade.

I agree on the use of a magnum primer here. FED GM215M or CCI 250's are my choices for this round. With over 90 gr of powder a mag primer will be good to have on those ultra cold days.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts