26-06 Browning what could I turn it into?

I would turn it into a custom .25-06 AI 40º with a 1:7" twist heavy barrel. Set it up to shoot the new Blackjack 131 ACE bullets. They have better BC's than 6.5mm 140gr bullets. ;)

Or, option #2, a .280 Sherman.
Where does the 280 Sherman stand Is it like a 7mm rem mag?

Where does the 280 Sherman stand Is it like a 7mm rem mag?
It's basically a .280 AI that's been more improved. It uses the same .473" bolt face that your .25-06 uses, and the same A-Bolt magazine you already have. And you use .270 Winchester brass to form for the .28 Sherman, so brass is plentiful and inexpensive.

Yes, it will produce nearly 7mm RemMag performance in a standard long action with a .473" bolt face.

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/280-sherman

Yes, but it took 16+ grains more bullet to achieve that small BC gain... ;)

6.5mm supporters will NEVER give the .257 caliber its due...And never have. That's why it's taken 60 years for someone to finally start making high-BC 1/4-bore bullets. The industry has been trying to suppress us for decades.
Not really. Mostly it's just the fact that the quarter bores never got enough market share for the big guys to really spend the money on them.

It's with the whole explosion in LR hunting and shooting over the last two decades that has given us numerous manufacturers really focusing on the market and that level of competition is breathing new life into them just like it has the 6.5's.

When the various magunm 7's hit the market with all of the support of both the major gun and ammunition producers (one and the same) both really took a hit.

Lol blackjack bullets is cool and all, but no way I'd build a gun around just 1 boutique bullet.
Pre-release, Miles sent me one of their bullets and I built a dummy-round for my .25-06 AI. Ironically, the bullets seat to the same distance as my 115 VLD's, so I wouldn't even have to change anything on my reloading setup...Just powder charge.

And, a 1:7 twist barrel is not going to hurt anything if you decide to shoot Berger 115's or 110 Accubonds.

So, technically you're not building a rifle around 1 bullet, you building a .25-06 AI or .257 Sherman with a modern faster twist, than the standard 1:10" they have been using for 60 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.