Preping for ELR - What a mess this turned into.

Broz,
I already have the front of a dish washer that shows holes pretty good. There's just too many of 'em.

Yeah. They don't last long but they work great at distances past 1000. On older wash machines, some had a kina like porcelain finish. Those were awesome. A hit produced about a 2" black spot with the bullet hole in the middle as the finish popped off to the primer. It is cool when you see the hit through the scope at 1000 plus. But the newer models have a painted surface, still works good but not AS good.

Jeff

My mount innovations seems to have worked.:cool:

Ckicks are spot on 1/4 MOA.

0.50 or so (cheap calipers :D) MOA zero @ 200.

Shot at 321 and 537 yards.

Increased Shooter velocity to 3400 and bc to 0.800 to get drops to match w/in 0.25 MOA at these 3 ranges. Air temp was 0* - 5* F. Sky was cloudless. Mirage was dancing the pastie 6" target around the reticle the full diameter. :rolleyes:

My left right was 6" @ 321 and 19" @ 537 (clicked the correct clicks but in the wrong:rolleyes: direction + a mirage shift that I noticed about halfway through the trigger brake. :rolleyes:)

The good thing was that I didn't trip the trigger when mirage was boiling. :cool:

Vertical spread @ 321 was less than 0.10 MOA @ 321 and under 0.20 MOA @ 537.

Monday will bring another new experience....

You need to take that 1moa gong and find out the range that you can make consistent hits on it. That needs to be your farthest range to take a shot at a woof!!! If its only 300 yards then so be it.

You need to take that 1moa gong and find out the range that you can make consistent hits on it. That needs to be your farthest range to take a shot at a woof!!! If its only 300 yards then so be it.

Your point is well taken and accepted.

Through some range finder defrugalities plus a little mind mess up the gong is now @ 1171 vs the 1247 initial measurement. The problem was that I lazed the back of the house instead of the wooden fence gate and subtracted the distance from the fence gate to the shooting platform.

The problem was beam size. The error wasn't noticed until I put the PLRF-10 on it.

I'm going to do a post on that problem and reference Broz's thread to give a more full assessment.

Bottom, if you want an LRF for all four seasons and want to shot more than 800 yards 100% of the time get a Vectronics!

Finally found the problem...

It was me. . . . again.:rolleyes:

When I got the rifle from Kirby per my instructions he put the least expensive available stock on it as I would restock it myself.

It shot lights out w/the cheapie B&C but was uncomfortable and the forearm was way too flexible.

The pillar and skim bedding was so outstanding I didn't want to mess with it or try to do as well myself on a start from square one stock.

I started developing my design around the cheapie B&C stock. The idea was to fabricate a prototype and have it duplicated later.

I extended the forearm w/a piece of pine and bunches of Bondo and JB Weld. W/the 30" bbl and brake it looked a lot better w/the 3" addition. It also added more distance between the rear bag and bipod.

Next I built up the bottom of the butt stock to make it parallel to the line of bore. This worked out well as recoil was straight back and helped spotting shots. Here again pine and lots of Bondo and JB Weld was applied.

Next was raising the top of the stock. I built it up straight back from the tang to the butt. More Bondo and JB Weld. No pine this time. :rolleyes:

Next I formed sufficient palm swells on both sides as I didn't and still don't know when my right eye is gonna not be up to standard. So far so good..:)

Felt clunky. Hmmmm, need a thumbhole. Went to cutting, drilling, forming until it came around right. More Bondo and JB.

By the time the thumb hole was excavated sufficiently the upper rear of the pistol grip was about gone with nothing but Bondo and JB between the comb and tang.

It cracked awhile back and remedied w/a bolt up through the bottom to top of the pistol grip.

Shot great until I started this thread when the temp was well below zero. The cold weather and inability of stuff to stick to tupperware stocks did her in.

Form is still good for replication when I get around too it. . .

Had another Rem 700 tupperware stock that I got from a member here. Roughly fitted it to the barreled action. Fired three shot @ 100 and she appears to be back to normal. 3 shots ~ 0.50 MOA.

I fully bedded it this morning and will confirm things by the week end.

I want to take it on a woof hunt next Wed. If not I'll drag out the 375 AM and hope I don't have to do the snow shoe thing.:rolleyes:

Its great to have my baby back but I burned up way too many shots getting it figured out. Berger best hurry up w/their new bullet offering in .277. I only have a few hundred Wildcats left. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.