What a mess

Yotes are getting bad all over the country. Most folks I know around this area hunt hogs now, meantime, the yotes breed like rabbits.
Ed

Nice shot on the yote. Had a similar experience once with a metal railing on a decommissioned oil pump platform. Didn't see the hand rail in the scope. Shot clean thru it with a muzzleloader. Dang deer is probably still laughing.

I also had a similar experience in the thick of Western Washington, shooting through vine maples at a cow elk and could not figure out how I could have missed at 40yds! The cow trotted off and as I stood there reloading, I looked up in time to see a 2" maple slowly fall over at about the 3' mark. The elk crossed in front of my father in law and brother in law about 80 yds from me and we started looking for any signs of a hit but to no avail. My father in law, being the great guy that he is, went back up on that mountain a month later, found the tree and cut out that section and mounted it in a really nice barn board, shadow box frame for me for Christmas and it has been on my wall ever since. I left out that this was my first year with a muzzle loader so before anyone jumps on me about not getting a follow up shot off,,,,,,,,,,

The .338 WM is pretty much good at killing just about any critter, engine block, etc. I've got some 250 solids left over from the days when they still legal in Africa and I have never been able to retrieve one. I've shot them into sand, tree stumps and once into the dirt from the the tailgate of my truck. I dug around for 30 minutes and found nothing. I put a dozen 1 gal. water jugs in a line and the bullet went out the side of #12. So I put 15 in a row and aimed at the bottom left and the sucker exited out the top of #13! After that I just kinda gave up. The best part about shooting small critters with the .338 is that there's nothing left to mess with, skin or clean. It just turns whatever it hits in malto-meal for the vultures. Clearly it's not the only one that does that, my old .243 with the 75gr. HP's did pretty much the same as does my .22 CheetaH. With a 55 gr. bullet at something a bit over 4,000fps, it tends to make burger out of anything smaller than a jackrabbit. Absolute truth, the vultures out in Marana (just outside of Tucson) knew my truck and used to follow us when we went out to bust bunnies! Sort of like ringing the dinner bell for them. They weren't shy either, landing on the scattered, bite sized remains of a big jack before we were 50 yards away!
Cheers,
crkckr

The worst vaporizers I have are my 6.5-06s. I do not do it often but I can easily push an 85 Sierra up to 3,800 fps with H-322. You pull the trigger and get what sounds like two muzzle blasts, boom-boom. The second boom is the impact as it vaporizes a woodchuck. Only meat left in the skin is in the tips of the feet. Literally it will red mist a chuck.
I used to jack up a pair of brothers with their 264s. Their 24 inch barrels would allow my 26 inch to equal the 264s with about 1/3 less powder. I do not shoot the 6.5-06 much anymore, our effective range here is about 200 - 250 yards. Shooting a 1,000 yard rifle at 200 is a big yawn.
I was going to take the 700/Douglas 6.5-06 with 130s to CO elk hunting but did not get drawn.
Ed

Nice shot on the yote. Had a similar experience once with a metal railing on a decommissioned oil pump platform. Didn't see the hand rail in the scope. Shot clean thru it with a muzzleloader. Dang deer is probably still laughing.
Years ago I was sitting in the recliner after dinner. I see this Yote prancing back n forth about 350 yards out in the field across the road. I grabbed my .243 from the gun case and my wifes Silk Broquet Pillow off the couch. Slid open the slider, crouch walked over to the stone wall. Kneeled down, laid the pillow on the wall n squeezed 1 off. WHITE!!! SCOPE FULL of WHITE! *** happened? In a hurry to Snap Mr Yotes wig I laid the barrel across the pillow. When I pulled the rifle back to aquire the yote; the muzzle velocity totally EXPLODED Wifeys Silk Pillow! OMG did the SHTF! Needless to say that **** Yote trotted off, NOT from the rifle report or miss, but my old lady screaming at the top her lungs how **** stupid I was! ROFLMAO!!!
Theosmithjr

Years ago I was sitting in the recliner after dinner. I see this Yote prancing back n forth about 350 yards out in the field across the road. I grabbed my .243 from the gun case and my wifes Silk Broquet Pillow off the couch. Slid open the slider, crouch walked over to the stone wall. Kneeled down, laid the pillow on the wall n squeezed 1 off. WHITE!!! SCOPE FULL of WHITE! *** happened? In a hurry to Snap Mr Yotes wig I laid the barrel across the pillow. When I pulled the rifle back to aquire the yote; the muzzle velocity totally EXPLODED Wifeys Silk Pillow! OMG did the SHTF! Needless to say that ---- Yote trotted off, NOT from the rifle report or miss, but my old lady screaming at the top her lungs how ---- stupid I was! ROFLMAO!!!
Theosmithjr
LOL- That is so something that would happen at my house!!!

Theo, I'd be willing to bet you weren't laughing your ... off on that particular day! That's assuming you stayed married to her, of course. Now, after wifey got over her mad, maybe, but not until then. Sounds just the kind of stuff that goes on around my place. But I gotta tell ya, that's one of the funniest stories I've heard in a long time!
Cheers,
crkckr

Last edited by a moderator:
Theo, I'd be willing to bet you weren't laughing your ... off on that particular day! That's assuming you stayed married to her, of course. Now, after wifey got over her mad, maybe, but not until then. Sounds just the kind of stuff that goes on around my place. But I gotta tell ya, that's one of the funniest stories I've heard in a long time!
Cheers,
crkckr
Was that YOU I thought was a fly on my wall. No I wasn't LMAO right then. She was ****ED OFF! But after I bought her some new pillows and took her to dinner, she SIMMERED DOWN. After that day I scrounged around the garage & workbenches and managed to construct a rather nice and useful rest I KEEP OUTSIDE. I been with her for 44 years, bore me 2 fine children; but I've YET to get her to FORGET!
Theosmithjr

Yep, an elephant has no memory, compared to a POed woman. And their nest decos are sacrosanct, heaven forbid you..... the instant you said outside and pillow in the same story I knew you were in an earthquake zone. :)
Ed

Theo, you have discovered a woman's secret weapon! They NEVER forget any transgression we have made, no matter how well meaning it started out as, and they will dredge it up at ANY opportunity, no matter how long ago it happened. The worst part is, it works, too!
Cheers,
crkckr

Man are you ever correct! My wife keeps those times in a holster and pulls them quicker than Doc Holiday ever thought about! Of course, in 31 years of marriage, I have given her plenty of time to stock up too and I can't say I didn't have a lot of it coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.