What should I turn a 300RUM into?

I am really liking the idea of the 26 nosler. does anyone have first hand knowledge of barrel life? unless it's under 400-500, I am on with shorter barrel life for this application. other than barrel life can anyone give me reasons not to do it?

I heard it was around 400-500 rounds of accurate barrel life... Personally, that's alot of money for a new tube every 500 rounds. Sort of that like that "new" 6.5x300 Weatherby... Just way too overbore IMO.

Go with a .28 Nosler if you want to do a Nosler cartridge.

If you are going thru 140's like skittles then the Nosler 0.xx anything isn't your choice. At 500 yards you could be shooting 6mm's. I'm a big fan of the Edge, 300 RUM(3 of them), & 6.5x284(3 of them) but I don't consider the target rifles due to barrel life.
Maybe 6.5 CM, 6.5 Lapua(even better), and nothing wrong with the 260,
It's IA but come on....it will more that do deer at your 500 yards
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/925-yard-mule-deer-1-shot-drt-video-176787/

For less recoil and really great trajectory I'd re-barrel it for .300 Lapua Magnum.

This cartridge has great ballistics and with a 230 gr. Berger hybrid bullet it will go a **** long ways, like 1,200 yards, before going transonic. And though the .30 caliber Berger Hybrid is a match bullet reports are that it is an excellent hunting bullet.

No less than Todd Hodnett has recommended this as an alternative to the .338 Lapua Magnum sniper round.

Eric B.

I heard it was around 400-500 rounds of accurate barrel life... Personally, that's alot of money for a new tube every 500 rounds. Sort of that like that "new" 6.5x300 Weatherby... Just way too overbore IMO.

Go with a .28 Nosler if you want to do a Nosler cartridge.

Ditto

I really appreciate all the input. I still have not decided, but for this build I am thinking I would like to stay 6.5. I am not set on the 26 nosler though. I would really love to be able to use Papua brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.