Sheep hunt turned into wolf hunt. Success photo included.

Very nice photo of a successful stalk, I'm very envious, we hunted our wolves to extinction 500 years ago here in the UK....
Would you mind sharing your load for the 155 Amax? I shoot a Rem 700VS in 308 & use the 155 Amax. At the moment I'm using 42gn of a milsurp 308 powder for 2800fps, accuracy ~0.5" at 100m.
Mike

Congradulations on the wolves, and good luck in your quest for the 160 ram.

Are the AMAX bullets your usual sheep load? I've been trying to decide between either the 162 grain AMAX or the SST for a sheep hunt in 2008.

Michael,

Great story and great picture to complete the story. Much appreciated, Thank you.

Vic

Wolf hunting isn't illegial in Idaho until you get caught! lol
Just do the 3 s's in Idaho shoot shovel and shutup. I wish they would become open in our hunting areas. They are a land pehranna.
They have ruined 2 of our favorite hunting areas and the big bulls are gone.
Great shot and great story. IP

Great story! Check your batteries next time (that goes for everyone). I'm definitely putting Alaska wolf hunting on my short list.

[ QUOTE ]
we hunted our wolves to extinction 500 years ago here in the UK....Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
We did in the lower 48 too! But they've been reintroduced to Yellowstone. The ecological recovery to the park astounded the most optimistic biologists. (It's an amazing success story). Scientific America had a terrific article on the amazing improvement to the park ecology after the re-introduction. The ranchers around the park I've interviewed tell a different (and interesting story) than the biologists (not much science but some interesting anecdotes). Elk populations (the main diet of the wolf packs) didn't diminish much (they mostly ate the old and sick). Fear of predation makes them harder for illiterate hunters to find tho.

I believe Alaska carefully monitors the wolf populations and they are in no danger of hunting them to extinction. Perhaps Alaska should ship you a few packs for re-introduction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hi
Perhaps Alaska should ship you a few packs for re-introduction

there was a big up roar when someone mentioned reintroducing the wild boar,can you imagine if some one said they where going to let a pack of wolves lose.
all though i am sure i have read or seen some where that there is someone in Scotland that was trying to reintroduce them.but was coming up against public opinion.
thanks
Colin

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Elk populations (the main diet of the wolf packs) didn't diminish much (they mostly ate the old and sick) [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's right, the Northern Yellowstone herd went from 19,000+ animals to just over 9,000. Calf to cow ratios are at the lowest ever recorded. I guess that's because they only eat the sick!!! I realize that wolves are not the ONLY factor in the decline of the Northern Yellowstone elk herd, but it was thriving UNTIL the reintroduction. Not to mention the cattle, sheep and family pets that are also falling prey to them. Yep, ecological recovery is a wonderful thing, gonna eliminate us from hunting them altogether real soon. But then, that was the real reason for re-introducing them, wasn't it!!

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, that's right, the Northern Yellowstone herd went from 19,000+ animals to just over 9,000. Calf to cow ratios are at the lowest ever recorded. I guess that's because they only eat the sick!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, I left out calves and other vulnerables. Elk cow/calf ratios are even higher in zoo's where there is a full time staff dedicated to the elk. It's only natural these ratio's would drop. Natural selection is not "survival of those who know how to complete the most welfare forms, those who can garner the most votes".
Can you supply a peer reviewed reference for those numbers? What was the population 300 years ago? 500 years ago?

[ QUOTE ]

I realize that wolves are not the ONLY factor in the decline of the Northern Yellowstone elk herd, but it was thriving UNTIL the reintroduction.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you define thriving? What about the beaver, coyote and deciduous tree populations in the park? (extinct, overpopulated, no saplings under 40 years old (wolf eradication date). I'd be happy to supply a list of 20 other species out of balance.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the cattle, sheep and family pets that are also falling prey to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, ecological recovery is a wonderful thing, gonna eliminate us from hunting them altogether real soon. But then, that was the real reason for re-introducing them, wasn't it!!

[/ QUOTE ]
>>real reason
What evidence do you have for your mind reading? Besides suffering from the motivation flaw of logic, the evidence is overwhelming that reintroduction of the wolves has been more than a spectacular win, win, win situation for environment.

One interesting (and often repeated) anecdote I got in my interviews; The wolves kill in this order:
<ul type="square"> [*]Dogs (the sentinels)
[*]Horses (favorite food)
[*]Sheep, calves, etc [/list]

When I hunted outside the park I was astounded by all the pet elk; unnaturally oblivious (compared to the elk in the little belts).

The most interesting comment you make is [ QUOTE ]
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man." Psalms 118:8

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lord set up the region with the wolf as top predator. Man removed that top predator.
As a GF native I've seen the elk population for the last 40 years. There are now wolves in the little belts just 65 miles from GF. (And lots of moose, there were no moose 20 years ago).

I don't think there is any debate, reintroduction of the wolves makes it harder for man to harvest elk. It's also accepted that some livestock/pets are lost. But there is likewise no debate among biologists from many fields, the reintroduction has been a phenomenal success beyond any one's expectations. It's as if God designed an optimal system with the wolf at the top of the food chain.

I would say man is at the top of the foodchain. My thoughts are that it is time for a little wolve hunting in the lower 48. Not against the existance of the wolves, just an opportunity to hunt the elusive critter in the lower 48 would bring it full circle.

[ QUOTE ]
hi

there was a big up roar when someone mentioned reintroducing the wild boar,can you imagine if some one said they where going to let a pack of wolves lose.
all though i am sure i have read or seen some where that there is someone in Scotland that was trying to reintroduce them.but was coming up against public opinion.
thanks
Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye Col,

I live in Scotland and I think there would be a BIG "Idaho Preacher S.S.S." shoot, shovel and shutup!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.