What is the cheapest and best 1000yd range finder?

What about performance in snow? I was in snow covered mountains of Montana this fall with a guide and neither of us could get a reading past 200 yards. My guide claimed it was the snow and the fact that we both had cheaper models. I have a Nikon, not sure exact one off hand. Never had an issue with it before. I think he had some sort of vortex model. Anyone have insight on how snow affects it? I was just going to save up and spend real coin on one, hoping that fixed the problem.
I was able to range these deer at approximately 700 yards without issue. The snow wasn't terrible but there was definitely snow. If the buck was bigger I would've shot him. I was using the Leica 2800.COM. Yes they're expensive but the glass is great and I really like pairing it to my Kestrel for ballistic solutions.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I have had over a dozen ranfinders. The first four or five were Bushnell, then two Lieca, at least three Nikons, a Swarovski, and now my third Sig and a Vortex Razor 4000. I Sent my Sig 2200 in because it was failing. They sent back a Sig Kilo5K. Of all the rangefinders the Swarovski still is so good I can leave my binos behind, but it's old and has no angle compensation. The new Kilo 5K are ballistic capable and that's nice, but it doesn't want to take a new reading in a timely manner. Take a reading and a coyote is going to be a real quarter mile further before it wants to read again. It's supposedly a 5000 yard rangefinder, but off white steel grain bins my furthest yardage has been 3800 yards. The field of view isn't great. The Vortex are a supposed 4000 yards and off the same white grain bins I have ranged 4100 yards. Both range trees at about 2600 yards. The Vortex optics are not as good as the Swarovski, but they beat everything else that I have looked through including all of the Leupolds.

Snow will affect all of the rangefinders. They use invisible infrared light. The dumbest thing is they used it for underwater cameras for fishing. Out of water they were good to 50ft, but infrared doesn't penatrate more than 3 ft of water and it will not penetrate glass. Turn on your light you use with night vision and try look through your house windows. Now your asking what does that have to do with snow and rangefinders. We think snow is white, but it's actually clear, but it's structure reflects as white. Many rangefinders will shoot through glass, some will not. Some will shoot up to 400 yards through glass. A rangefinder that shoots through glass will also penetrate a short distance into snow rather than reflect back to you leaving you little capability in a snowy landscape. Rangefinders work great off hard surface white, but not snow. On a snowy hillside my Vortex will do 1200 yards, but on a flat surface snow I'm limited to 400 yards. Put a coyote on that flat surface snow and the farthest I have had a chance to check it was just a few yards over 1000, so I dont know it's limits.
The k part in the Sig 5K in kilometers. But I'm not getting what you have. My longest reading was 2800 something on a barn in Texas.

I have a Kilo 2000, and it will range a reflective highway sign at that range. It didn't range an antelope at around 300 yards on perfectly flat terrain. Mine is several years old, and it refused to work on a cold morning elk hunt. A toe warmer in the case made it better, but that is a pain.

My first rangefinder was a Leupold. After 4 years would not function anymore, electronics completely DOA and no factory support. I don't expect a lifetime warranty with electronics but I do expect it to last longer than 4 years. And mine lives a very easy life. Have a Sig now and happy so far.
my leupold gave up after 4 or 5 years also. I called the Oregon shop and they said send it in and we'll give you a good deal on a newer model. After a 4 or 5 month wait a new one showed up with an invoice attached that was about what cabelas was charging for that model. This one has worked fine so far, but next time I will not go back to Leupold!!!

I purchased a Halo xlr3000 for $149 from MidwayUSA. Had a Nikon Prostaff 7i prior to that. The Halo was far better than the Nikon and I have found many hunters that have had the same comments. The XLR3000 was discontinued shortly after I purchased this one. Being a retired farmer now, I have my own range up to 2000 yds. right in front of my house. I've done 1800 yds with it instantly, on reflective target. Several of my hunting friends also have had Halo 700 yds. -1000 yds., for several years and like them as much as I like this one.
The one thing I like the most is the screw in cap for the battery. I wanted something other than the cheap CCC cap on the Nikon. This cap is similar to the cap on the Streamlight PROTAC HL flashlights which I have had now for over 5 years.
I honestly think you would not be disappointed with any Halo range finder.

I was able to range these deer at approximately 700 yards without issue. The snow wasn't terrible but there was definitely snow. If the buck was bigger I wouldn't shot hunt. I was using the Leica 2800.COM. Yes there expensive but the glass is great and I really like pairing it to my Kestrel for ballistic solutions.
I would love to have something that would pair up with a ballistic system but I just can't afford stuff like that now

The issue I find is I basically only need the features of:
Show me line of sight distance
Don't die when I drop, drop in water or mud, or use in weather below 0.
Don't kill the battery with one day in the field of heavy use.
Attach to tripod stud
Maybe give me adjusted distance based on angle.
Don't break or at least warranty it when it does.
Honestly, the way I use mine, 15-20x would be a better magnification. I'm not bow hunting!

I have the Leupold 2800. It has too much crap. Optics are meh. No tripod attachment.

That Maven looks interesting. Vortex is likely a good choice too.

In the rifle or in the binos is a better form factor as long as optics are not messed up by it….which they usually are.
My Leupold RX-2800 has a standard 1/4"-20 threaded insert in the bottom for a tripod.

I had a bushnell 20 years ago I think was rated for 1000 yds and it worked very well but was big and bulky so I bought a leupold super duper model rated at 1000 yds and was nicely sized where you could put it in your shirt pocket and was total junk, never got a range on an animal past 350 yds. Went to bushnell binocular rangefinder combo and it worked great and still does 15 years after I bought it. ranges animals past 800 yds once in a while even to 1200 yds and the glass is plenty good, I hunted Ft peck in Montana many years in a row with it and always got a good buck where spot and stalk is how we did it and the optics were good enough to evaluate a deer 1/2 mile and maybe 1 mile away before you made a run on him. Now I hunt in my own back yard, have close to a section near Boise so the farthest looking I do is probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile away and the optics are fine and the rangefinder works very well
The binoculars type would be freaking awesome but they are so dang expensive

I would love to have something that would pair up with a ballistic system but I just can't afford stuff like that now
My wife bought me mine for Christmas or an anniversary or something. I try to get my $$$ worth when it comes to gifts so I ask for things that are expensive. Lol

I also think that Sig makes some stuff that have that capability. They also have the ones with AB built in. Honestly having the ballistic solutions given to me along with the range was worth every penny. (I did have to buy the kestrel)

Last edited:
Athlon Midas 1 Mile Rangefinder for only $179.99
Fully Multi-Coated Lenses
Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses

Waterproof
Waterproof to protect the product in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater

Diopter adjustment
Adjusts for precise focus on display

Angle Compensation Mode
Provides true horizontal distance to target

Line of Sight Mode
Provides actual line of sight range

Scan Mode
Allows you to get quick readings on different objects or tracking a moving target

Dual Units of Measurement of Distance (Y/M)
Ranges in yards or meters

Effective Ranging Distance
5-1700 yards