Best LR Range Finder?

dkrueger

I have a 7 mm Mag tikka and .308 111 Savage. I am looking for the best LR non reflective range finder's you make know of? The research I have done the Leopold 1200I TBR DNA looks like the best buy for the buck? Are there any other suggestions within a reasonable cost? I run Vortex scopes but the Vortex 1000 only shows 650 yards on game. I would like to range up to 1,000 yards on game if possible? Would like input. I hunt in rural ND.

I don't have a lot of experience with other brands but can tell you I have had been very happy with the Lieca 1200 I have. I know the price might not be "reasonable" but mine works better than the other Nikon and Leupolds I have owned. (To be fair the others were much less expensive and not rated for as far ) A friend of mine just got the Vortex and compared it with the Leica and he said the Vortex wasn't as good.

I really like how forgiving the Lieca is when the shakes from buck fever set in! Even at closer ranges it's much easier to use. This might not have been overly helpful for you but I had to throw it out for a fellow ND hunter! - Good luck

Leica:
Lowest (best), or one of the lowest, beam divergence specs of anything near its price range. The less expensive range finders, and even some high priced units, have a pretty wide beam at long range, which increases the chances of getting 'bad ranges'. There is more to range finders than the listed max range.
The glass is excellent in the crf range finders.
I've had a crf 1600 for about 3 years and it has worked as advertised. It doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles, but it ranges every time accurately.

I have a 7 mm Mag tikka and .308 111 Savage. I am looking for the best LR non reflective range finder's you make know of? The research I have done the Leopold 1200I TBR DNA looks like the best buy for the buck? Are there any other suggestions within a reasonable cost? I run Vortex scopes but the Vortex 1000 only shows 650 yards on game. I would like to range up to 1,000 yards on game if possible? Would like input. I hunt in rural ND.

I suspect the Leopold 1200I TBR DNA will, in reality, only range about 600~700 yards also. The general rule with range finders is they usually on range around 1/2 their rated distance on game... I have used several Bushnell, Nikon, and Leupolds and this has seemed to hold true across the board.

There have been a couple exceptions though. They are the Leica 1600/1600B and the G7 from Gunwerks. These are getting outside the realm of "reasonable cost" however. I use the Leica 1600B and it is easily ranges game to 1000 yards and beyond even. Just depends on light and atmosphere. I believe it has been pretty consistent for me at 1200 yards

But the Leica now has some competition and it is cheaper! It's the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 rangefinder. It seems to outperform the Leica and that is a feat in itself.

Here's a link to a good thread in the Sig Sauer. Check it out. It may be just what you are looking for.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/sig-sauer-kilo-2000-rangefinder-161599/

I will have to check into the leica, cfr 1600, and sig. I was looking at the leica before but the price turned me away. Might be better to save and get a good optic than something that I wish I didn't buy.

Thanks for the input!!!

I would also recommend the Leica 1600. I had a Leupold before and was not that impressed. The Leica has been the best that I have used. I have compared it to other Leupolds, Nikons, and the Vortex you mentioned and it seems superior in every way. Like someone mentioned before you don't have to be completely steady to get a good range like my Leupold. Plus I got it to range 1999 yds this fall elk hunting. 17-1800 is normally fairly do-able. Keep an eye out online and Cabela's bargain cave. I picked mine up as an old display model from Cabela's and saved about $150.

I used a Leica 1600 for a few years and it was a good unit. I talked to a service rep for one of the rangefinder manufacturers that told me expect to realistically see most units range out to 60% of their stated maximum in difficult lighting or on non-reflective targets. This has been pretty accurate IME.
How accurate do you need your ballistic solutions to be? Are you shooting at elk size targets to 600 yards, or small varmint size critters at 1K or more. If you're shooting small targets at long range you'll need to measure atmospheric conditions and input those numbers into ballistic software to get accurate solutions. Now you have more devices to carry and more time involved in getting to the shot. In this case the G7 unit can't be beat. Mine has given me solutions for first shot kills on marmots as far as 1402 yards.
They are a spendy unit, but well worth the cost, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts