Hunting scope season - the best of the cheapest?

The Fall season is fast approaching, and the annual question from the co-workers is always identical; what deer-hunting scope should I buy? And I can only spend $200-$300 . . . .

In this price range, I admit I try and prioritize reliability over optical performance. These same co-workers stretching their hard-earned dollar always seem to be the folks abusing their equipment. Heavy recoiling rifles aside, I'm talking about the drops from the back the tailgate, and the trips down endless two-track trails at eighty miles an hour. That said, the top of my list always includes the Burris Fullfield E1 for a very specific reason (direct from their website below)

I have noticed however that referencing erector reliability is not something explicitly stated by many manufacturers. I thought I read something about it from Leupold a few years ago, but I can't find it currently. And I'm not even sure if all of Burris's Fullfield scopes include this feature. For example, the Burris Fullfield IV makes no mention of this. Is it just assumed?

So the question is; can anyone confirm what other makes and models of "cheap scope" prioritize erector reliability? I'd like to know what other options in this price range are available.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

For under $300 a SWFA 10x or 12x. It has a mil or moa reticle. Their real lightweight also. Dont buy a Athlon, Ive had a Argos btr, a Midas btr and a Ares etr ALL fail to hold zero. Ive gotten a bad SWFA from the factory but never had one fail in the field.

Last edited:
Lord people you gotta step back and realize for many a "deer hunter" the Leupold VX3 is the top of the mountain. I hunted with a $130 Nikon pro staff for years and I can't even think of a missed opportunity because of the scope. Yeah there were deer out of range of my abilities at the time but I could clearly see them in the bean field.
Deer hunting coworkers means capped turrets, maybe BDC, minimum power of 3 and max of 12.
The whole world is available in this. Pick one of the big names and move on.
While I agree on some level, a many a deer hunter also only check zero with a random bullet they find by hitting a pie plate and then go shoot a deer in the stomach and say they goter done

Nikon's scopes have decent glass for the money, and include a lifetime guarantee. Same for Vortex I think. Not sure about erector reliability, so if they're dropped on the day of the hunt all bets are off. As an aside, I have seen scopes advertised as "shock-proof".
Nikon is no longer making scopes so what you see out there for sale is the end of the line. They sold all their MFG rights/contracts to CrimsonTrace from what I understand.

Look at the Trijicon Assent and Huron scopes. If you shop around you can find these in the $300-350 range and are all made in Japan with EXCELLENT glass and overall quality. I'm done with Chinese and Philippines garbage. I just picked one up in 3-12x40 for my Muzzleloader. Very impressed.

I put a .300 blackout together for my nephew and put a US Optics TS-12 on it. It is a compact scope and has a lifetime warranty. Euro Optics has it on closeout for $349. It has worked well for him. He is pretty cautious with his stuff so it doesn't get beat around and he isn't shooting a .416 Cheytac so YMMV.

The Fall season is fast approaching, and the annual question from the co-workers is always identical; what deer-hunting scope should I buy? And I can only spend $200-$300 . . . .

In this price range, I admit I try and prioritize reliability over optical performance. These same co-workers stretching their hard-earned dollar always seem to be the folks abusing their equipment. Heavy recoiling rifles aside, I'm talking about the drops from the back the tailgate, and the trips down endless two-track trails at eighty miles an hour. That said, the top of my list always includes the Burris Fullfield E1 for a very specific reason (direct from their website below)

I have noticed however that referencing erector reliability is not something explicitly stated by many manufacturers. I thought I read something about it from Leupold a few years ago, but I can't find it currently. And I'm not even sure if all of Burris's Fullfield scopes include this feature. For example, the Burris Fullfield IV makes no mention of this. Is it just assumed?

So the question is; can anyone confirm what other makes and models of "cheap scope" prioritize erector reliability? I'd like to know what other options in this price range are available.

Thank you

How about buying an older Denver made Burris on Guns International? I am smitten with the old American made Burris scopes and the lens coatings make for a nice, bright, clear scope.

Thank you

I have the Burris you mentioned plus another model. They have been super reliable for me using them for deer hunting. Money well spent for a "cheaper " scope.

I got to thinking about this subject and for me my best hunting experience wasn't when I had the best or most expensive gear. A used leupold/vortex/Burris they all hold zero and go hunt!! If I knew then what I know now I would not have done most of the things I've done

I've still got a Leupold VXR 3-9x40 attached to Browning 308 for woods hunting. They stopped making this particular scope I believe. It is not set up for dialing, but is perfect for light weight deep woods/timber rifle. I keep buying higher end scopes for other purposes, but this scope just seems to stay attached to the 308. Sometimes we just get caught up in the upgrade game, and think paying $3k+ for a scope will make us a better hunter and make the hunt more enjoyable. Not sure it really works that way.

Cameralandny.com grab a sightron S-TAC

These are probly the best kept secret in the industry.... I have a 4x20 on my 7mm08 regular hunting rig, doped out to 700yds. Thing is just flat out rugged. Rode on the back of my pickup seat, kids kicking the s*&@ out of it, held zero on a dome shot on a slickhead. Had it mounted for over 3 yrs now and no loss of zero after dialing out multiple times...last kill last season 335yds.

I now have 7 of them, just put a 3x16 on my pop's 6.5 grendel bolt gun. .. was dropping hits at 800yds.

Love the sightron line...